About the us and about the role
Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
Hillingdon is London's second largest borough. Our staff live across Hillingdon and beyond, with our main council offices at the Civic Centre in the heart of vibrant Uxbridge town centre. Putting our residents first is at the heart of everything we do, and we are embarking on an ambitious plan to modernise our service offering, while sustaining high-quality delivery.
We are now recruiting for a Highways Asset & Performance Manager reporting to the Head of Highways and responsible for 3 senior direct reports and 1 technical support officer. The post holder will lead on the delivery and development of all service strategies, policies, asset management and operational plans to include highways, structures, watercourses, and street lighting
This is a great opportunity to introduce new ways of working to Hillingdon and develop innovative asset management processes that are both robust and cost effective. Working collaboratively with key external partners the role is pivotal to the long-term planning of the authority's highways assets, the role represents a chance to really develop your career in a forward-thinking authority where the work is interesting, varied, and challenging.
Main Aspects of the role
The main aspects of the role are
· ensuring all commercial and performance monitoring arrangements are in place for the commercial protection of the Highways Service
· leading on budget management and manage revenue streams
· updating plans and preparing management and finance information reports
· establishing and nurturing relationships with external partners including TfL, neighbouring Borough's, and Authorities
· supporting responses to enquiries, Freedom of Information requests and complaints (including Ombudsman investigations)
· delivering service strategies, policies, asset management and operational plans
· managing the effective delivery of the Symology service, ensuring regular monitoring and reporting takes place alongside the development of a strong working relationship with the supplier.
· analysing performance data
· reviewing tender and contract documentation and providing advice on commercial aspects and compliance and projects are procured in accordance with Council Standing Orders and OJEU Public Procurement requirements.
You should hold a Degree in Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying or other Construction, Engineering or Project Management equivalent, ideally Chartered status (or equivalent), supported by membership of an appropriate professional body and with significant experience as a senior manager leading a team of technical professionals.
It is preferred if you have experience of running and evaluating tender processes with knowledge of contractual frameworks and legislative & statutory requirements relating to property, construction, and procurement, including preambles, schedules of work, contract sum analysis, construction contract and ancillary documentation, however training and support in this area will be given.
It is expected you will have extensive knowledge of relevant Highways related legislation including:
· NRSWA 1994
· Traffic Management Act 2004
· Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice
· Highways Act
· Reservoirs Act
· Flood and Water Management Act
As the role requires travel throughout the borough you need to hold a current UK driving licence and have access to your own vehicle for which mileage will be paid whilst on council business.
What we offer
The role offers a competitive salary between £55,980 and £60,366 per year. New employees normally start on the lower band on the scale.
We also offer a wide range of company benefits and whilst these vary according to the business area and role, they typically include:
· local government average salary pension scheme
· free parking if based at the Civic Centre
· a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
· generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
· career breaks and flexible working hours
· season ticket loan and access to a Credit Union
· access to a wide range of training and courses with discounts on a variety of adult education courses run by the council
· payment of professional fees where these are required
· discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
· cycle purchase and car sharing scheme
· 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Our borough offers fantastic transport links with the A40, M25, the Metropolitan, Elizabeth, and Piccadilly lines all local to us, so you can travel to work with ease, with free parking within our own car park. We also offer a hybrid working arrangements, with time balanced between the office and home.
For further information or an informal discussion please call Poonam Pathak, Head of Highways on 07958647567.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.