Hillingdon is London's second largest borough. Our staff live across Hillingdon and beyond, with our main council offices at the Civic Centre in the heart of vibrant Uxbridge town centre. Putting our residents first is at the heart of everything we do, and we are embarking on an ambitious plan to modernise our service offering, while sustaining high-quality delivery and providing a best-in-class proposition to the service areas across the Council.
Our waste business is an award-winning Waste Minimisation and Recycling Team and we are are looking for excellent people to join us in the role of Recycling Officer.
We are a highly motivated team, dedicated to finding ways to reduce waste and recycle more in Hillingdon whilst delivering improved value for money and better services for our residents.
As Recycling Officer, you will be responsible for the management and delivery of projects, for example
· waste reduction
· community reuse, repair and recycling
· food waste reduction
· improving waste and recycling service provision
· working with businesses and residents across the borough to promote recycling and reduce contamination.
You will focus on improving recycling rates and services on a range of projects to achieve the commitments that we’re setting out in our new Reduction and Recycling Plan.
The team engage with businesses, residents and the local community, including schools and colleges, as well as managing agents, developers and other stakeholders.
The position is based at our Harlington Road Depot, 128 Harlington Road, UB8 3EU with free parking facilities.
Candidates should have:
· excellent communication skills
· an understanding of the principles and practices of recycling and waste management
· experience in a waste environment delivering improvement projects
· the ability to problem solve and demonstrate innovation in the workplace.
· passion about working in the recycling sector, with experience and education to support this
· project management experience, coupled with your dedication to customer service
Due to the nature of the role, the role-holder will need access to their own vehicle and have a clean drivers license.
We are offering a salary of £33,351 to £34,341 for this role. Although we typically appoint at the bottom of the banding, we may offer the top for candidates depending on experience. We also offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.