‘People are proud to live and work in Slough where diversity is celebrated and where residents can enjoy fulfilling prosperous and healthy lives’.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a Finance and Commercial Services Management team, as a Contract Management Support Lead. This is a Senior role within the Commercial team where you’ll have responsibility for one other. The role is to provide professional advice and guidance to Contract managers across the business on all areas of contract management, whilst adhering to compliance with internal policies and procedures and ensure that cost, quality and delivery of service is achieved. This role is key to helping the Council achieve their strategy on procurement, contract management and continuous service improvement to meet its objectives.
Slough Borough Council's Finance and Commercial team is undergoing huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. SBC has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the council and its finances
The Finance and Commercial services team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans. This role will allow you to have impact, be challenged and be part of a team that wants to leave a positive legacy within both the organisation and community.
What you’ll be doing
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the category strategy and deliver “hands on” procurement, including complex, high value negotiations with suppliers.
- Manage category sourcing programmes through to implementation to deliver high value-added commercial outcomes.
- To explore, identify and implement innovative approaches to the delivery of complex procurement projects to help improve service and reduce costs.
- Review contract compliance and leakage.
- Support the management of procurement processes in line with the council’s procurement procedure rules, legislation and corporate procurement policies.
- Manage negotiations with suppliers to deliver best value for the council.
- Provide support to contracts managers to navigate negotiations and / or disputes with suppliers.
- Provide commercial and strategic insights into the performance of the contract portfolio.
What you’ll have
- Relevant management qualification e.g CIPFA, IACCM/WCC, IML7.
- Senior management experience.
- Financial and budgetary management experience with the ability to formulate financial strategies.
- Experience leading the delivery of large projects and/or programmes.
- Strong negotiating / influencing skills.
Our offer to you
In this role, you will work within a rapidly changing environment which is under intense scrutiny. You will be part of a team where you will be required to play an important role in helping to deliver the corporate plan ensuring full integration with financial plans. Slough Borough Council is a fantastic place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. You will have the opportunity to leave a legacy both within the company and community. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
With significant challenges come significant opportunities – for the right candidate.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- flexible and hybrid working options with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office
- generous holiday entitlement - 25 days annual leave (not including Bank holidays), rising to 29 days between 2 - 5 years’ service and 32 days after 5 years’ service
- generous pension scheme
- wellbeing initiatives including cycle rides and sports tournaments amongst others.
- our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- tax - free childcare and childcare services
- discounted car parking
- season loan ticket - to help with the cost of your rail / bus journey to & from work.
In our office we’re assembling the best minds in public sector reform. If that’s you, then this could be a career defining move for you.
Interviews: December 2022.