Job Reference: CO03 – 1684
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Finance and Commercial Services team, as a Risk and Insurance Manager. As a key manager in the department to manage and mobilise resources proactively to contribute to achievement of Slough Finance ambition to be “Best in Class”, to contribute to a high performance and continuous improvement culture delivering leading edge financial and commercial management underpinned by robust analysis and promoting and embedding best practice methods and standards.
Slough Borough Council's Finance and Commercial team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. SBC has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
What you'll be doing:
- Providing professional leadership and support to senior leadership and departmental management in respect of the Council’s insurance arrangements and the management of the Council’s Insurance Section
- Experience of developing risk management in a complex organisation alongside senior management
- Leading on the procurement of the Council’s insurance programme, ensuring compliance with the Insurance Act 2015 and challenge the needs of the authority and the relevant levels of cover
- Collaborating with service areas and contribute to the development of loss control strategies to improve the Council’s insurance risk profile and improvement of the risk management arrangements
- Leading the Council’s insurance claims handling arrangements to ensure they are handled in a professional and timely manner including liaison with claims handlers, legal representatives, loss adjusters and departmental contacts in the gathering of evidential support for cases
- Providing advice on application and interpretation of financial regulations and standing orders and the Council’s financial procedures and practices as they relate to insurance and risk management
- Looking for opportunities to implement continuous improvement so that Slough Finance can be best in class through liaison with sector professionals and trade organisations such as ALARM
What you'll have:
- Professional Qualification or equivalent e.g., Institute of Risk Management (IRM), Chartered Institute of Insurers (CII)
- Understanding of the workings of local government including knowledge of major legislative and other matters facing local government in Directorate service areas, both at present and in the future
- Experience working in an insurance and risk management environment preferably within local government
- Experience of working with a claims management IT system preferably LACHS
We encourage development, ambition and progression so even if you don't have all the skills/experience, please do consider applying as full training and support are offered.
What you'll get:
- Competitive salary & fantastic defined pension scheme
- Opportunity to shape the service successfully
- Leave a successful legacy both within the company and community
- Have a role that will truly challenge you and that will fulfil your own ambitions.
Our offer to you:
Slough Borough Council is a challenging but rewarding place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Flexible and hybrid working options with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office
- Generous holiday entitlement: 25 days annual leave (not including Bank holidays), rising to 29 days between 2-5 years of service and 32 days after 5 years of service
- Generous pension scheme
- Wellbeing initiatives including cycle rides and sports tournaments amongst others
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- Tax-free childcare and childcare services
- Discounted car parking
- Season loan ticket-to help with the cost of your rail/bus journey to and from work.
In our office, we are assembling the best minds in public sector reform. If that’s you, then this could be a career defining move for you.