Reference: CO03 – 1711
A number of exciting opportunities have arisen to join the Finance and Commercial Services team at Slough Borough Council as a Strategic Finance Manager. Working within either the Financial Management or the Corporate and Strategic Finance teams, these are strategically important and critical roles. This group of managers will be a key part of the Finance and Commercial services leadership team at the heart of the transformation programme. The roles are varied from strategic business partnering, to leading on systems development; departmental development activities and overseeing and delivering on financial reporting and treasury management services.
Slough Borough Council's Finance and Commercial team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. SBC has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
What you'll be doing:
- Leading a team of finance professionals either in the Financial Management team or as part of the Corporate and Strategic Finance function. It is expected that you will be flexible between the teams so you could be doing a wide range of tasks from year to year
- Helping to shape the direction of the council to drive forward the public service reform agenda and be an integral part of helping shape its future
- Working as a trusted partner with services to carry out internal service reviews to improve value for money, efficiency and help deliver efficiency savings target for their service
- Lead on closure of accounts – ensuring income and expenditure accounts are accurate, balance sheets are reconciled and all holding accounts cleared regularly
- Providing accurate and timely financial management information, budget monitoring, trading reports and financial models etc.
- Negotiate with a number of different parties, both internally and externally and lead on developing complex financial models, commercial agreements on major contracts securing funding, as well as investigating innovative financing and funding methodologies
- Implement strategic and financial planning processes with service departments (Forecasts, Budgets, Medium and Long-Term financial planning)
- Assess the implications of all emerging and potential issues and new policies and brief the Executive Director of Finance and Commercial quickly
What you'll have:
- Track record of success leading and developing a large function/service in a large organisation with substantial budgets
- Experience of commissioning and leading the analysis of a range of data
- Previously managed and successfully delivered multiple projects simultaneously
- Relevant professional qualifications – CCAB/CIMA or overseas equivalent
- Experience of translating strategic objectives into operational plans
- Strong financial and budget management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Our offer to you:
In this role, you will work within a rapidly changing environment which is under intense scrutiny. You will be part of a team where you will be required to play an important role in helping to deliver the corporate plan ensuring full integration with financial plans. Slough Borough Council is a fantastic place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. You will have the opportunity to leave a legacy both within the company and community. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
With significant challenges come significant opportunities – for the right candidate.
Alongside a competitive salary and generous pension, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Options for hybrid working arrangements with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office to promote work-life balance
- Generous holiday entitlement: 25 days holiday each year + Bank holidays - rising to 29 days between 2-5 years’ service and after 5 years of service rising to 32 days
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- Tax-free childcare and childcare services
- Discounted car parking
- Season loan ticket