Job Reference: CO03-1672
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Finance and Commercial Services team, as a Head of Financial Governance, Internal Audit, Counter Fraud, Risk and Insurance. This is a crucial and high-profile role in the development of the Council’s improvement journey. You will be a member of the departmental senior management team with a focus on leading and supporting the Executive Director of Finance and Commercial in developing and maintaining a comprehensive professional risk, counter-fraud, internal audit and insurance service across the Council. You will provide professional leadership on all key areas of the work undertaken within the Service Groups to ensure all financial governance, risk, counter-fraud, internal audit and insurance services are carried out consistently across the Council in accordance with the relevant industry and professional standards.
Slough Borough Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. The team will be working alongside DLUHC appointed Commissioners to deliver the improvements required. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances. This role will allow you to have impact, be challenged and be part of a team that wants to leave a positive legacy within both the organisation and community.
What you'll be doing:
- Establishing a new team to provide high quality services to the council
- Developing and maintaining effective positive relations at the highest level within the organisation and taking the lead in client meetings in providing advice and influencing discussions where complex or sensitive issues arise around financial governance, risk, internal audit, counter fraud or insurance matters.
- Leading the internal audit, counter fraud, risk and insurance teams by leading the implementation of service objectives and driving performance of these service areas
- Contributing to the development of the Finance and Commercial Services Department as a member of the Departmental Management Team
- Contributing and supporting delivery of the objectives in the Finance and Commercial Services Business Plan
- Ensuring all aspects of the service are provided to the highest professional standards including developing policies and procedures
- Providing assurance to members and senior officers as to the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, risk management and governance
What you'll have/be:
- A qualified accountant or equivalent experience such as Institute of Risk Management or Institute of Internal Auditors
- 10 years+ post qualification experience working in a complex business
- Experience in financial governance, risk, internal audit, counter fraud and insurance
- Experience of implementing and leading enterprise risk management and related governance
- Evidence of instigating and transforming Financial Services into a successful and leading service provider
Our offer to you:
In this role, you will work within a rapidly changing environment which is under intense scrutiny. You will be part of the departmental leadership team where you will be required to play a lead role in helping to deliver the corporate plan ensuring full integration with financial plans. Slough Borough Council offers a challenging but rewarding place to work, in a supportive environment where your valued input will lead and shape the future direction of the Council’s finances. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Flexible and hybrid working options with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office
- Generous holiday entitlement: 25 days annual leave (not including Bank holidays), rising to 29 days between 2 - 5 years of service and 32 days after 5 years of service.
- Generous pension scheme
- Wellbeing initiatives including cycle rides and sports tournaments amongst others
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- Tax-free childcare and childcare services
- Discounted car parking
- Season loan ticket - to help with the cost of your rail/bus journey to and from work.
With significant challenges come significant opportunities – for the right candidate.
In our office, we are assembling the best minds in public sector reform. If that’s you, then this could be a career defining move for you.
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Candidates as they are currently under-represented in leadership positions.