Job Reference: CO03 – 1676
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a Finance and Commercial Services Management team, as a Procurement Category Manager. This role is supporting the Head of Commercial with implementing the Council’s Procurement and Contract Management Strategy. It will involve leading the development of new contracts, advising senior management on procurement and contract management matters in line with all compliance. You will be accountable for providing a strategic vision for the future development of the service to help the Council meet its future challenges through better procurement and contract management. This role will allow you to have impact, be challenged and be part of a team that wants to leave a positive legacy within both the organisation and community.
Slough Borough Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances. The Finance and Commercial services team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead managers/teams to develop new procurement activity and contracts delivering service improvements and savings
- Assess current needs and expenditure and markets alongside managers
- Advise managers on all procurement and contract management issues
- Build strong positive relationships throughout the Council
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation, particularly the Public Contracts, GDPR & Freedom of Information
- Skill up managers on best practice procurement through training, coaching, written guidance and systems
The list above is not exhaustive.
What you’ll have:
We encourage development, ambition and progression so even if you don't have all the skills/experience, please do consider applying as full training and support are offered.
- Management qualification e.g., ILM7/MBA or vocational qualification.
- CIPS Level 4 or above or Certificate in Public Procurement
- Management experience in a large complex multi-service business
- Evidence of leading organisational change
- Financial and budgetary management experience with the ability to formulate financial strategies with focus on the stakeholders
Our offer to you:
In this role, you will work within a rapidly changing environment. You will be part of a team where you will be required to play an important role in helping to deliver the corporate plan. Slough Borough Council is a challenging but rewarding place to work offering a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. You will have the opportunity to leave a legacy both within the company and community. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
With significant challenges come significant opportunities – for the right candidate.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Flexible and hybrid working options with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office
- Generous holiday entitlement: 25 days annual leave (not including Bank holidays), rising to 29 days between 2 - 5 years of service and 32 days after 5 years of service
- Generous pension scheme
- Wellbeing initiatives including cycle rides and sports tournaments amongst others
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- Tax-free childcare and childcare services
- Discounted car parking
- Season loan ticket to help with the cost of your rail/bus journey to and from work
In our office we’re assembling the best minds in public sector reform. If that’s you, then this could be a career defining move for you.
Interviews will be held week December 2022
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Candidates.