We are seeking an enthusiastic, curious, logical individual who enjoys a challenge where change is your ally and creativity is your best friend. To work with us to continue to be the best landlord in the town by changing lives for the better and strengthen communities. We value our staff and the difference that they make to our customers.
Our Housing and Communities Teams are passionate about the people who live in our town; our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We have a great track record in building strategic partnerships, successfully bidding for Government funding, major project delivery.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
As Estate Maintenance Officer you will be a link between the Council and our tenants, to ensure the delivery of services at a local level, but also working with tenants and other team members to identify and drive initiatives that will improve the quality of our estates.
We’ll need you to inspect communal areas in and around blocks of flats and undertake safety checks as necessary. We’ll support you to make a real difference to the quality of resident’s lives by ensuring the appearance of block areas are well maintained and safe.
You’ll be supporting Housing Officers to ensure that the Council's 'landlord' responsibilities within the Tenancy Agreement are met and enforced, undertake a range of health and safety and other checks in blocks including emergency lighting, fire alarm and fire safety inspections. You’ll ensure that standards related to service level agreements are met.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following is required for this role:
- Valid driving licence and daily access to a vehicle to move between sites.
- You’ll be comfortable in dealing with members of the public and able to show empathy and understanding
- Good level verbal and written communication skills
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 11th December 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.