About us & About the role
Hillingdon is London's second-largest borough. Our staff live across Hillingdon and beyond, with our main council offices at the Civic Centre in the heart of the vibrant Uxbridge town centre. Putting our residents first is at the heart of everything we do, and we are embarking on an ambitious plan to modernise our service offering while sustaining high-quality delivery. We operate two well maintained and popular public golf courses. There are also plenty of activities to participate in and places of interest to see, for residents, visitors and people who work in the borough.
We are looking for a part-time, Seasonal Customer Service Assistant, reporting into the Golf Shop Team Leader, to work in the golf shops at Haste Hill and Uxbridge, which are located within these beautiful parkland golf courses in Middlesex. Please be aware, the salary for this role will be pro-rata to the part time hours, and the contract will be a seasonal contract on a fixed term basis for up to six months.
This seasonal post will assist permanent members of staff with the daily operation of the shops, including dealing with customers and administration of the courses when the business dictates. They will also be required to cover staff's annual leave, days off and absence. They will also be responsible for the administration of online tee bookings, collection of green fee income, promoting the sale of accessories and equipment, including the hire of trolleys, clubs and buggies.
Main aspects of the role
The main aspects of the role are
- To work in the Golf Shops at Haste Hill & Uxbridge golf courses on a seasonal basis.
- To support full time members of staff and cover for annual leave or absence.
- To administer tee time bookings and collect green fee income.
- To promote sales of equipment, accessories and to liaise with customers, supporting them with their requirements.
We are looking for someone with experience in a retail and/or customer service environment. Whilst it is not essential, it is desirable if you have a first aid qualification.
You will ideally have a sound knowledge and a passion for golf; the use of equipment and understanding of golf etiquette within the game. You will need to be flexible with the hours that you work and must have a willingness to work weekends, bank holidays and evenings as these will be a necessity to the needs of the business. You will have a satisfactory level of customer service experience as you will be working in a front-line customer service environment to suit the needs of the business.
A valid driving licence is essential to the role as you will be required to travel between the golf courses.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
If you want to discuss this opportunity please contact Paul Glozier, Golf Shop Team Leader, at
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.