Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
The London Borough of Hillingdon is highly regarded for its open space and street scene. Trees are one of the most important and defining aspects of the borough and require a well-managed, high quality and professional approach to achieve the results that are expected.
You will be joining Hillingdon Council's Green Spaces Team, taking an active role in all aspects of urban arboriculture, including the management of the council's tree stock: carrying out inspections, raising work and monitoring Contractors. Assisting with the protection and management of the Borough's private trees through Tree Preservation Orders and Conservation Areas section 211 notices.
Working in Partnership with charities such as Trees for Cities and Trees for Streets to promote the benefits of urban trees and increase the borough's canopy cover through planting the right tree in the right place. Not only is this an exciting project to be involved in, but it is also incredibly rewarding, and you will have the opportunity to help the environment and support our community and its ecology.
You will have the opportunity to work with other services within the organisation including Town Centre Improvements, Planning Enforcement and Grounds Maintenance.
We are seeking an individual with a passion for the environment to take an active role in the protection and management of the Borough's trees. You will be a key resource with a sound technical knowledge and a clear understanding of how an arboricultural service fits within the council.
You will be self-motivated and able to work on your own initiative and manage tight deadlines, but also be able to contribute to the interdisciplinary work of the wider service.
To succeed in this role you will have an in-depth knowledge of tree issues along with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Experience of working with contractors, residents, Councillors and other departments to achieve best practice and retention of the council's overall tree stock.
You will be an ideal candidate if you meet this criteria, are a member of a relevant trade organisation, have a valid driving licence and use of a vehicle.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.