School Business Manager - Grade 7
0.8 pro-rata (core pattern over 4 days but flexibility to condense/spread hours and with some home working according to business need)
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date for applications: Friday 27th January 12 Noon. Shortlisting will take place shortly afterwards with interviews during the week commencing 30th January
Cherry Grove Primary School in Chester wishes to appoint a School Business Manager to work under the supervision of the Headteacher and ensure business and administrative support is provided. This post is being advertised pending the retirement of the current post-holder.
The school is a medium-sized primary school with approximately 300 pupils, and takes in pupils from Nursery Aged 3 up to Year 6. The school ethos is ‘We Care...’ and this is a crucial element of how we make decisions and ensure pupil and staff wellbeing. Our core values are ‘Community, Aspiration, Respect and Experiences’. We are a fair, kind, respectful team with a great sense of humour and can provide a positive and supportive working environment.
The contracted hours will be 0.8 – which means the core hours for the role will be over 4 days a week. The Headteacher is committed to flexible working where possible and for the suitable applicant these hours and role-specific tasks may be worked flexibly where business need allows. This includes some opportunity to work from home and this flexibility may mean suitability for those who have caring responsibilities.
Transition to the role will be supported by access to Local Authority Finance and HR specialists, who support the school on a year-round basis.
There is currently an Admin Assistant/Front of House Office Lead and Clerk to the Governors in place for the school, so these responsibilities do not form part of the role.
There is some scope for progression dependent on experience and performance in role. The role will initially be temporary, to become permanent on successful review after 3 months.
- Manage the financial operations of the school with support from the local authority. Prepare reports and data for the Headteacher and Governing Body. Meet with the Headteacher regularly to identify cost-savings and ensure effective budget management. This includes desirable attendance at some Governing Body meetings (approx. 3 per year).
- Use Unit 4 to raise purchase orders and invoices for items the school needs to purchase.
- Make claims for Early Years funding.
- Act as systems manager for SIMS and Local Resources Management.
- Support with the administration and implementation of regulations regarding employment of staff e.g. processing applications, references, applying for DBS, booking supply cover where needed.
- Maintain the Single Central Record as an essential function of school safeguarding requirements.
- Manage and provide statistical data returns relating to the school; school census data, attainment returns.
- Manage the school office function – ensure efficiency and delegation to the Admin Assistant and Site Team.
- Identify revenue streams and benchmark providers to ensure best-value for the school. Liaise with contractors and suppliers.
- Prepare financial reports and statistical data relating to the school for governors e.g. staffing levels, absence.
- Maintain personnel records including absence.
- Maintain and process pupil records, including admissions.
- Excellent communicator – with staff, external suppliers and children and parents
- Highly organised and self-motivated
- Able to work to deadlines and prioritise own workload
- Team player
It is desirable, though not essential, that you have business experience within a school setting. You must have experience of working/transferrable skills with the core responsibilities above.
An enhanced DBS check and references/other checks will be required prior to employment.
Selection will be via application and interview.
You can find out more about the school at http://www.cherrygrove.cheshire.sch.uk/ or via Twitter at @CherryGrovePS
We look forward to your application.