Horsham District Council Housing Department expanding their homeless team and have an exciting opportunity for a Trainee Housing Officer (Homelessness) to provide support and assistance to the Housing Officers – Homelessness.
Reporting to the Senior Homeless Officer, the post holder will be responsible for following the regulations as set out in Part 7 of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017) and the guidance provided by Government to Local Housing Authorities. To be the first point of contract for all queries into the housing team monitoring the Housing Inbox and undertake the triaging and assessments of those seeking low level housing assistance, provide basic advice, options, and housing solutions to homeless households. To support the Housing Officer where required.
As Trainee Housing Officer (Homelessness) you will:
- Work with Housing Officers to gain skill, knowledge, and experience within Part 7 of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended)
- Monitor and maintain the Housing Service email inbox, triaging, replying to and assigning to other team members as appropriate and to sort, and process incoming post indexing and actioning as necessary
- Assist the Housing Officers with dealing with correspondence, emails and phone calls pertaining to someone seeking housing assistance
- Assist the Housing Officers in securing an emergency placement when required through existing suppliers and associated administrative work
- Facilitate the creation and payment of invoices through the Council’s finance system for Housing and Community Services teams
- Assist the Housing Officers with the relevant homeless duty through payments of loans, grants, and bonds and where necessary completing the administrative work this entails including file notes, reports, and document collection
- Complete comprehensive financial assessments using the relevant guidance available for applicants seeking housing assistance
- Hold an appropriate small case load of homeless advice cases, answering enquires and completing the general advice letter where required with the necessary tailored information for the applicant and forwarding more complex cases to a Housing Officer as directed
- Assess the eligibility of a homeless household to access Horsham District Council’s Housing Register, complete the application, provide the required notification and chase for tenancy start dates to Registered Provider properties
- Be familiar with the Code of Guidance for Local Housing Authorities and feed back to the Senior Homeless Officer learning and development of knowledge of the benefit system including housing benefit, universal credit etc in 1-2-1 meetings
To succeed as Trainee Housing Officer (Homelessness) you will have:
- Experience of working in a homeless or housing environment
- Customer service experience and working with the public
- Basic knowledge of Part 7, of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017)
- Relevant benefit knowledge i.e. Housing Benefit, Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payments
- Knowledge of health and safety Issues
- Working with a range of stakeholders including internal and external contractors
- Experience of managing challenging behaviour
- Ability to identify safeguarding concerns and complete referrals to the relevant organisation
- To work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Time management and organisational skills
For an informal discussion about this role please call Kendra Barrington, Housing Services Manager on 07557253568.
Horsham District Council encourages and supports their employees to have a healthy work life balance by supporting their professional development as well as offering 27 days’ (199.8 hours) annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rata), a generous benefits package and an online platform offering discounts from online retailers. Staff are eligible to join a contributory pension scheme where the Council contributes circa 20% of pensionable salary. The Council also provides reimbursement for professional subscriptions and access to a car lease scheme. Most of our office-based roles have the potential for hybrid working, we are currently trialling a 50/50 home/office working model, subject to review.
If you would like to apply for the role, we highly recommend you show clearly within the ‘Experience Section’ of the application form how you meet the essential criteria detailed within the Role Profile when applying. If you do not make this clear, it is unlikely you will be shortlisted for interview.
Internal applicants, if you would like to apply for the role, please submit an expression of interest to HR@horsham.gov.uk explaining clearly how you meet the criteria and what you feel you can bring to the role.