- Employer: Brighter Futures for Children
- Reference: BFC0514
- Published: Tue 21/02/2023, 13:44 PM
- Closing on: Sun 26/03/2023, 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Salary: £29,439 - £34,723 per annum
- DBS Check: Enhanced
- Location: Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Reading, Berkshire
Virtual School Education Advisor
Virtual School Education Advisor
- Job description
Brighter Futures for Children
Children Previously Looked After and Children with a Social Worker
1-year fixed term post with possibility of further extension depending on grant funding
Hybrid working available
Brighter Futures for Children is a not-for-profit company, owned by, but independent of, Reading Borough Council. Although we are independent, we are very much part of the Reading Family. Our people enjoy all of benefits as other Council employees including membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme and continuous service.
We work closely with partners in the local community and key organisations including Reading Borough Council, policy, public health and voluntary groups. We are responsible for the delivery of children’s social care, early help & prevention, education services (including SEND). This also includes fostering and adoption, the Youth Offending Service and traded services with schools.
The Virtual School is committed to supporting children and young people to achieve their educational goals and ensure they have the opportunity to grow, flourish and realise their full potential through attaining good qualifications and a positive educational journey. The Virtual School roll includes Children Looked After, Children Previously Looked After and Children with a Social Worker.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to join Reading’s Virtual School (VS) for Children Looked After, Children Previously Looked After and Children with a Social Worker. The Virtual School is committed to promoting the educational achievement of Children Looked After and supports young people to achieve their educational potential, to enable them through attaining good qualifications and a positive school experience to have more fulfilling careers, higher incomes, greater self-confidence and ultimately a better quality of life.
The Virtual School Advisor for Children Previously Looked After and Children with a Social Worker will report to the Virtual School Assistant Headteacher for Children with a Social Worker and will provide support and guidance, which fosters, sustains and develops the aspirations and achievement of Children Previously Looked After and Children with a Social Worker.
- Provide educational advice, support and signposting to services, stakeholders and parents, guardians to raise educational outcomes for children previously looked after and children with a social worker.
- Develop, sustain and embed productive relationships with other agencies, such as the Regional Adoption Agency, key groups and DT/DSL in education settings, in order to add value and have impact on the achievement of children previously looked after and children with a social worker.
- Research and present evidenced-based resources and tools, which could support in enhancing the educational achievement of children previously looked after and children with a social worker and assist children, families and education staff.
- Support in organising, developing and delivering cross service training for school staff, families and multi-agency professionals to raise their awareness of the diverse educational needs of children previously looked after and children with a social worker and dispel myths and stereotypes about their capacity to succeed.
- Assist the Virtual School Assistant Headteacher for Children with a Social Worker to educate and train staff to develop effective systems to support children previously looked after and children with a social worker involving modelling trauma informed, therapeutic and inclusive practice.
- Recognise the complex circumstances, which apply in many cases to vulnerable learners and critically evaluate the performance of those directly responsible for their education, with the ability to challenge and support colleagues whilst seeking solutions to complex situations.
- Develop transition plans alongside schools, which promote the use of the Virtual School Education Plan for children previously looked after, to support and monitor children’s education and wellbeing.
- Maintain an up-to-date roll of children who are previously looked after within the local authority and who attend Reading Schools.
- Attend and play a key role in the Virtual School Southeast Regional meeting for children previously looked after and children with a Social Worker.
This is a highly rewarding role where you’ll have the opportunity and autonomy to really make a difference. If you are passionate to help us in making a positive difference to vulnerable children’s lives every day, then we would like to hear from you.
- Significant experience of work in schools and education settings to raise attainment and progress of pupils
- Experience of working within a multi-agency environment and forging and driving successful partnerships
- Experience of working in an environment where inclusive, trauma informed, therapeutic practices are prioritised
- Experience and understanding of children previously looked after and children with a social worker and determination to act as their advocate to improve their life chances
- Experience of working effectively in teams and promoting a ‘can do’ attitude within an environment of continuous improvement and positive outcomes for children and young people
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 25 days incremental holiday plus public holidays (rising to 32 after 10 years’ service)
- Discounted Child Care (on site nursery)
- Salary Sacrifice Car Lease Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans
- A range of local discounts
Closing date: 26 March 2023
Shortlisting date: 28 March 2023
Interview date: 4 April 2023
For more information and a confidential discussion please contact Rhiannon Begg on email@example.com
We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
We look forward to hearing from you!