- Employer: Guildford Borough Council
- Reference: 3/23/231195
- Published: Fri 03/03/2023, 10:08 AM
- Closing on: Tue 28/03/2023, 23:55 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Salary: £39,355 - £46,601 (from 1st April 2023)
- DBS Check: Yes
- Location: Millmead House Offices, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB, Surrey
More InformationMore about this employer
Compliance Officer (Level 2) - Planning
Compliance Level 2 Salary: £39,355 - £46,601
Guildford Borough is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, retail and culture. Guildford is a thriving market town that has maintained much of its historic character and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night-time economy. The town’s location provides excellent transport links as well as providing the balance of being surrounded by beautiful countryside, including the Surrey Hills, an Area of Outstanding Beauty. All of these factors contribute to a quality of life that makes it one of the best places to live in the UK.
We want to appoint two enthusiastic and committed officers to join our skilled Planning Enforcement Team in the Planning Development Service. The team investigates and enforces planning regulations to ensure a high quality built and natural environment in Guildford.
What’s in it for you?
We are a diverse organisation, delivering a wide range of services and employing people with a broad range of skills. We want to attract the best staff, so we offer excellent benefits, including: a competitive salary; flexible working arrangements; an essential car user allowance; private medical insurance and free staff parking. We also provide health and wellbeing initiatives, an employee assistance programme and staff discounts off a range of well-known high street shops and supermarkets.
In this role you would:
- Investigate allegations of breaches of planning control, including conducting site inspections;
- Liaise with members of the public and stakeholders about planning enforcement complaints;
- Draft reports and notices, as is required, on planning enforcement investigations;
- Represent the Council on enforcement related appeals, including written representation appeals at informal hearings and public inquiries;
- Represent the Council in court proceedings relating to planning enforcement cases.
To succeed in this role, you will be able to demonstrate:
Compliance Officer Level 2:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people;
- Proven ability to give sound advice and guidance
- Excellent ability to reason, process information, be curious, ask questions and analyse potential outcomes to make timely and effective decisions;
- The ability to work independently and as part of a high performing team;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Tenacity and a problem-solving mindset;
- The ability to adapt to change and use initiative; and
- The ability to devise, learn and adapt to new systems and processes.
- Good working knowledge and practical experience of planning enforcement
- Good working knowledge of legislation and development in planning law.
- Proven ability to give sound advice and guidance on planning enforcement matters;
Compliance Officer Level 2: Educated to A’ level standard/NVQ 3 and/or experience in working in specialist area. Degree in a relevant subject (desirable).
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.