- Employer: Place
- Reference: PPOL0256
- Published: Tue 07/03/2023, 14:53 PM
- Closing on: Mon 20/03/2023, 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Salary: JM2: £38,296 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: North Somerset
More InformationMore about this employer
Principal Transport Planning Officer (Operational Lead)
Starting salary: JM2: £38,296 per annum
Location: Based at Operational Locations (Castlewood & Worle)
Hours: 37 hours per week
Closing date: 20 March 2023
This is a new and exciting career opportunity for a customer focused, enthusiastic, innovative, and operationally minded individual to play a key role by leading the Integrated Transport Solutions team.
About the role
Based within the Integrated Transport Unit (ITU), this role will focus on supporting the delivery of both front line, statutory council services and other operational requirements arranged by the Transport Commissioning Team. The post creates the gateway to some of the most vulnerable service users in our community to access educational and welfare services. Typically, this may include Home to School /Passenger Transport and Community Meals as part of our programme of Transformation.
Candidates will demonstrate meaningful experience of resource and staff management, strong organisational and planning skills, a personality that promotes both flagship customer service and can be demand responsive to the challenges of day-to-day operational delivery.
Areas of responsibility will typically include:
- Effective operational management and service delivery of in-house operations
- Performance management within a client-based commissioning model that measures quality, compliance, and cost of service.
- Ensuring safe and compliant service delivery with effective and robust processes
- Promoting customer focused, quality assuring welfare services.
- Seeking opportunities that adds value to the services and the utilisation of available resources.
- Securing best value and efficiency through effective planning, change and innovation.
- Deployment of vehicular based services that are compliant with Council policy/ies and relevant governance (vehicle/driver licencing) and Road Traffic Act
- Management of the operational budget
- Implementing and leading on projects that enhance the integration of services within the council and the wider sub region.
- Effective management of the team with the support of the Team Manager
- Lead the team on safeguarding matters which considers the welfare of our passengers and service users.
- There may be occasions when management support is needed to support operations delivered over weekends.
- Travelling is to be expected to support and monitor operational facilities within Weston-super-Mare or Castlewood in Clevedon.
As well as the day-to-day operational management and functions of the team, this permanent post presents an opportunity to promote change and lead on project innovation. The team’s current programme seeks to deliver a portfolio that offers sustainable transport solutions and ensure as Operator of Last Resort Key services are delivered. Crucially, the role will continuously evaluate best value to the council and maintain partnerships with our commercial providers.
The successful candidate will join us at a time of significant but exciting change, responsive to an increasing demand for specialist transport services and a challenging local/regional transport marketplace.
Integrated Transport Unit (ITU)
North Somerset’s Integrated Transport Unit was formed in January 2017 following a cross departmental transformation review which linked together the former Public Transport, Home to School Transport and Fleet Management teams.
Working in a small but ambitious unitary authority, you will be based in the Passenger Transport Service, Place Directorate. The post holder is required to work with flexibility and at all levels within the council including with Executive Members and Senior Managers. North Somerset Council works closely with the other West of England and sub-regional authorities, and your role will have significant cross boundary focus.
This post is exempt under the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions) Order 1975 and is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
We offer a wide range of benefits, to ensure that you are paid fairly for your work, have the flexibility to enjoy a great work/life balance, and have the support you need. Our benefits include an excellent pension scheme, family leave options, flexible working hours, working from home, as well as career progression and training opportunities and becoming part of a friendly and supportive team. More information about our extensive benefits package can be found here; https://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-services/jobs-training/council-jobs/working-us/employee-benefits
Want to know more and apply?
For an informal discussion please contact Huw Thomas Jones on 07392 138005
Visit www.n-somerset.gov.uk/jobs to download an application pack and apply online.
Anticipated interview date: 27 & 28 March 2023
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.