- Employer: Reading Borough Council
- Reference: RES0421
- Published: Wed 08/03/2023, 16:50 PM
- Closing on: Sun 02/04/2023, 16:50 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: To be confirmed
- Salary: £34,723 - £39,493
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Reading, Berkshire
More InformationMore about this employer
Reading Borough Council are entering a period of exciting change. Despite the challenges facing local authorities, Reading are focused on improving the quality of life for residents, including investing in new leisure facilities, reducing our carbon footprint, improving customer service and putting in place more self-enabling support within Social Care. The Council has also been successful in securing £19.1 million of Levelling-Up grant funding to revitalise Reading’s cultural offer by transforming the much-loved Hexagon Theatre and providing a modern new Central Library.
With assets of £1.1bn, external debt of £376m, investments of £67m and planned capital expenditure for the next 3-years of £340m, the Treasury Accountant will play a key role in managing the Council’s borrowing and investment strategies and activities.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This role is required to support the Capital and Treasury Lead in providing the Council’s Treasury Management Function.
Key responsibilities include;
- Contribute towards the preparation of reports and returns including the Treasury annual strategy and outturn report for Council.
- Prepare, manage and forecast the Council’s cash flows for use by finance colleagues.
- Undertake transactions to invest surplus funds and borrow funds in accordance with the Treasury Management Strategy Statement and other written procedures.
- Monitor the financial markets and make recommendations on the source and timing of long-term borrowing
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following qualifications and experience are required for this role:
- AAT qualified technician or part CCAB/CIMA qualified
- Excellent Excel skills
- Knowledge of Local Government Treasury Management Practices
- Able to work independently and use own initiative
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail whilst still being able to see the big picture
- Able to network and build relationships quickly
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
We are open to flexible working patterns and can provide a hybrid working environment which utilises the best of both worlds with a mix of office working in central Reading and home-working according to the needs of the Service.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Anna Barefoot, Capital & Treasury Lead at email@example.com
Closing Date: Sunday 2nd April 2023
Interview Date: w/c 10th April 2023
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Click back to edit your search or next to see the next job.