- Employer: Bracknell Forest Council
- Reference: PPR/23/233155
- Published: Fri 17/03/2023, 14:15 PM
- Closing on: Wed 12/04/2023, 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Flexible Hours, Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Salary: £25,878 - £36,298 p.a. + £663 LWA (with bar at SCP 24 (£31,099) . Progression beyond SCP 24 will be dependent on achievement of Masters Degree in Town Planning)
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Time Square, Bracknell , Berkshire
Planning Assistant - Planning Officer
Would you like to be a Planning Assistant whilst studying for a Masters in Town Planning, giving you the opportunity of progression from a Planning Assistant to a Planning Officer?
We have an exciting opportunity within our planning team where you will be supported and sponsored to attain the Chartered Town Planner Masters Degree whilst working as a Planning Assistant. Progression to Planning Officer level will be available on attainment of the qualification and gaining relevant experience.
You will join our friendly and busy planning team as a Planning Assistant where you will be working on the finalisation of our local plan and the masterplanning of our strategic sites. There will also be opportunities to help prepare supporting guidance, undertake monitoring and assist with neighbourhood planning. You will gain valuable experience and contribute to realising the Council’s ‘Vision’ for the Borough.
We are looking for someone who is a conscientious, diligent and highly motivated who would like to attain a Chartered Town Planner Masters Degree. The successful candidate will also work in our friendly, skilled and busy planning policy team and will play an important role in assisting with the final stages of our local plan, which is currently at examination. There will also be opportunities to be involved in preparing masterplans and guidance for future development to ensure that it meets our needs and aspirations.
This position is ideal for a candidate who wishes to gain a professional qualification that will enable them to pursue and develop a career in planning. The post graduate apprenticeship offers the opportunity to obtain a Masters Degree in Planning as well as gain professional Chartered Status with the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) after successful completion of the End Point Assessment (normally undertaken during the third year) whist undertaking work in a planning related field. You will be enthusiastic, diligent, self motivated, organised, accurate, reliable and good at critical thinking and communication (both written and oral) with a strong focus on outcomes and results.
Whilst working as a Planning Assistant you will study for a Masters which will be funded through the national apprenticeship scheme. There are a variety of establishments which offer the qualification and the location will be discussed at interview. It is a Level 7 qualification which takes around 3 years to complete if you have a good Honours Degree or equivalent on entry.
 RTPI | Apprenticeship training providers
Bracknell Forest is a Unitary Authority situated in an area facing continuing growth pressures. Large developments are being constructed and new communities created. Bracknell Town Centre is being transformed into an exciting, vibrant destination for the people of Bracknell Forest and the wider Thames Valley area. The project has already been recognised in a number of awards and further development is planned. The Bracknell Forest Local Plan is currently at Examination, Stage 1 and 2 Hearing Sessions having taken place last year. Following the receipt of the Inspectors’ Post Hearings Letter, a schedule of proposed main modifications are being prepared. We have also recently adopted a new Joint Minerals and Waste Plan. Development pressures are high and a key challenge is to balance the housing and economic needs with the protection of the countryside and Green Belt.
What it's like working in our team...
We are a friendly and busy team, dealing with the new Bracknell Forest Local Plan, , Supplementary Planning Documents, Neighbourhood Plans and internal and external consultations. We work closely with our Development Management colleagues and other teams across the Council which is a Unitary Authority. We are proactive, flexible and respond quickly to the need for change.
Our work is challenging but we work together to find creative solutions and every day is different.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training...
- Contributing towards the formulation and implementation of planning policies and associated guidance, the production of development briefs and advice leaflets.
- Helping to arrange and prepare material for consultation events with local communities.
- Delivering advice and support to Town/Parish Councils on neighbourhood planning.
- Responding to correspondence and enquiries relating to planning policy matters.
- Collecting, extracting and compiling data and maintaining spreadsheets and databases.
- Querying, manipulating and storing spatial data using GIS.
To help carry out these duties you will be expected to attend internal and external training courses commensurate with your level of appointment and experience. Progression to Planning Officer level will be available on achieving a Masters degree in Town Planning. You will also be given support and direction from senior colleagues and be expected to develop and maintain up to date technical knowledge of related planning legislation and policy guidance.
The benefits you will experience are...
- We will pay your annual subscription to a professional body.
- Career development and learning experiences through a range of training courses and learning methods including an apprenticeship, if appropriate.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- A great office location next to travel links and the town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
What we're looking for...
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self motivated, reliable individual with good communication skills (both written and oral) and a strong focus on customer service who is keen to further their career in planning
Interviews will be held w/c 1st May 2023.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact:
Sue Scott, Development Plan Team Manager
Tel.: 01344 351181 or email: email@example.com
Max Baker, Assistant Director: Planning
Tel.: 01344 351902 or email: Max.Baker@bracknell-forest.gov.uk
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
Any candidates wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please.