- Employer: Central Bedfordshire Council
- Reference: CBED/23/10756
- Published: Wed 22/03/2023, 11:05 AM
- Closing on: Wed 05/04/2023, 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Salary: £55,449 - £60,317 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Priory House, Chicksands, Bedfordshire
Deputy Solicitor to Council and Monitoring Officer
Team: Monitoring Team, Legal
Job Family: Enabling - CBG15
Salary: £55,449 - £60,317 per annum
Hours: 37 hours per week
Location: Working from home and any CBC offices, including Priory House, Shefford. You will be
expected to attend a CBC office location on a monthly basis, and as needed to carry out your role
Contract Type: Hybrid - Permanent
Closing Date: 5th April 2023
Interview Date: TBC
Central Bedfordshire is an ambitious authority, determined to be an exemplary one. Our strategic location and high quality of life mean we are one of the fastest growing areas in the country.
As a council we face the same challenges every business does - investing in the right places and delivering great results. Except for us, it’s all about our 289,000 residents. We’re totally focussed on helping to improve their lives and making Central Bedfordshire a great place to live and work.
We have set values and principles to represent the way we work and how we operate as an organisation. You can view a list of these in detail on our website.
This is a great time to join us on our journey.
About the role
There’s more than one reason why we believe Central Bedfordshire is a great place to live and work. Our attractive market towns and beautiful villages surrounded by stunning countryside, all boosted by a prime location, great transport links and a high performing economy are all part of what makes us great.
We are looking for experienced, talented and personable individual to join our team. You will be a qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a current practising certificate.
You will work closely with the Monitoring Officer to ensure that Central Bedfordshire Council is able to better fulfil its statutory, legal and constitutional obligations under the relevant local government legislation. This includes:
- Responsibility for Member and officer Code of Conduct complaints
- Support and provide assistance on governance matters and lead on ethical governance
- Support and provide assistance in relation to Members and officer declaration of interests, and procurement waivers
Your remit is varied, so it’s important that you’re adaptable and highly organised. Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential as you’ll be communicating at all levels, often explaining complex information both in meetings and in written reports.
Because of the variety of work and opportunity to be at the forefront of new initiatives, this role should provide an excellent opportunity to expand your knowledge and experience.
Join us, and take advantage of a generous rewards package, flexible working and the chance to learn and progress.
What we can offer you
As well as joining a friendly, dedicated, and hardworking team you will have access to numerous benefits, including:
- A hybrid working arrangement giving you the option to work from home and access any CBC office location. We recognise and value the importance of supporting our employees to balance their home and work life and to be able to work in the most efficient way.
- A £250 one-off hybrid worker payment to help you adapt your home for safe and suitable working conditions
- A comprehensive IT package to support you to work safely and effectively
- Generous family friendly policies and practices
- A welcoming and inclusive environment that empowers differences
- Friendly and supportive staff networks
- Annual leave allowance 24 days + statutory holidays rising to 31 days with length of service.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). This is a valuable part of our rewards package for employees and includes Life Assurance. You can find out more on the Bedfordshire Pension Fund website.
- An exceptional Employee Assistance Programme which helps support employees with workplace changes as well as other work, family and personal issues
- A huge variety of courses and role-specific training and learning to help you succeed and develop
- Access to discounts on top UK retailers and local retailers
Central Bedfordshire Council has its own vision and values that are integral to everything we do. Our area vision is to make Central Bedfordshire 'A great place to live and work’.
Sustainability matters to us. We aim to lead by example in tackling climate change. Read more about the action we’re taking on our website: Climate change – tackling it and our strategy
Our aspiration is to be a truly flexible employer. We welcome discussion on location, hours and working pattern as part of the application process.
You will be expected to demonstrate how you meet the key accountabilities and competencies detailed within this Recruitment Pack
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact: Butta Singh at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 300 6765.
For queries related to the recruitment of this vacancy, please contact: The Recruitment Team at email@example.com
Central Bedfordshire Council is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to improving the diversity of our workforce to better reflect the communities we serve. Therefore we welcome applications from everyone. In addition we are a Disability Confident employer, we are working to become a Disability Confident leader in our community.
To maintain a fair and consistent approach for applicants, it is Central Bedfordshire Council's policy to only consider applications made via our online application system and we therefore thank you for not submitting your application offline.
If you require assistance to apply for our roles, help with writing your CV, interview techniques or careers advice please contact our team of careers advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org Our service is confidential, impartial and free for all.