- Employer: Gravesham Borough Council
- Reference: REC2412LS
- Published: Fri 24/03/2023, 10:48 AM
- Closing on: Fri 14/04/2023, 23:55 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Salary: £40,137 to £42,615 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Brookvale Depot, Northfleet, Kent
Health & Safety Advisor
We are looking for a Health & Safety Advisor to work within our Operational Services Team which includes the Council’s waste collection, street cleansing, grounds maintenance, cemetery, vehicle workshop and housing repairs services. You will ensure a high standard Health & Safety system is in place including the undertaking of risk assessments, drawing up appropriate Health and Safety policies, organising and delivering training, and the investigation of accidents.
You will provide assistance to the Senior Corporate Health & Safety Officer for corporate based Health & Safety projects such as outside events held by the Council and assist with delivery of the day to day corporate Health & Safety work as required
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- To advise all departments, managers and employees of the Council on their statutory obligations in respect of health and safety, this to include providing quarterly reports to Management.
- To undertake health and safety monitoring (both on and off-site) of all front line operations on the ground, including but not limited to Refuse Collection, Street Cleansing, Grounds Maintenance, Cemeteries and Housing Maintenance & Repairs.
- Develop and oversee the Health and Safety Training Plan for operational staff at Brookvale Depot.
- To lead on the provision of Health and Safety training for all staff.
- Maintain, manage and keep records of health and safety training.
- To draw up Corporate Health and Safety policies, procedures, risk assessments and tool box talks as required.
- Carry out accident investigations and produce reports.
- Provision of Health & Safety statistical data and reports for Management.
- Manage elements of the Council’s Drugs and Alcohol policy.
- Reviewing subcontractor Method Statements & Risk Assessments
- Practical experience of dealing with workplace health and safety matters, preferably within a manual/operations environment
- Full qualification in health and safety NEBOSH certificate or equivalent
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to tight deadlines
- Full clean driving licence
- Able to work flexible and unsociable hours including evenings and weekends
- NEBOSH Diploma
- Training/facilitation qualification
- Local authority experience
- Experience of overseeing budgets
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Stuart Alford on (01474) 33 75 66.
Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date