- Employer: Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council
- Reference: FIN/23/234337
- Published: Tue 28/03/2023, 11:24 AM
- Closing on: Tue 11/04/2023, 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Flexible Hours, Full Time
- Hours: 36 hours
- Salary: £58,022 - £60,927
- DBS Check: No
- Location: MPF, Merseyside
Senior Fund Accountant
Senior Fund Accountant – Merseyside Pension Fund
Location: Liverpool City Centre
Employer Wirral Council
Full Time, Permanent Position, Flexible Hours
Merseyside Pension Fund (MPF) is part of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and is one of the largest local government pension funds in the UK with assets in excess of £10bn.
The Fund is a contributory defined benefit pension scheme and is administrated by Wirral Council to provide pensions and other benefits for pensionable employees of over 200 employers, including the Merseyside Local Authorities and a range of other employing bodies.
The LGPS is in the process of fundamental change in its investment arrangements with individual LGPS funds now actively engaged in investing collaboratively in pursuit of efficiencies across all asset classes. Merseyside together with its Northern LGPS partners is leading the way in responding to this reform.
We have a rare and exciting opportunity for two Senior Fund Accountants (SFA) to join the Finance Team of MPF. The roles will support the Head of Finance & Risk in delivering financial management & reporting, financial control, treasury management and compliance functions of the pension fund. The successful applicants will play a vital role in the implementation of a new ERP system at the Fund.
As a Senior Fund Accountant your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the core financial planning and reporting function and assist the Head of Finance & Risk in maintaining a Fund overview of all financial activity.
- To develop, lead and train a specialised team of finance officers within MPF Finance with specific responsibility for financial planning and financial reporting for a major pension fund.
- To be responsible for the production of the statutory annual statement of accounts and external audit, complying with statutory requirements and professional standards.
- To oversee and be responsible for maintaining the core financial systems (ERP), ensuring a strong and robust control environment and reconciling with other key financial systems.
- Responsible for providing the appropriate financial monitoring and control information to ensure the Pension Fund's financial affairs are properly administrated
- Maintaining the integrity of the Pensions Fund financial systems and its continued development
- Proving technical accounting guidance, direction and training to subordinates
- Deputising for the Head of Finance & Risk
- Line management responsibilities for a number of team members
You will have:
- Current full membership of CCAB or CIMA with evidence of CPD
- A record of in-depth experience of producing complex financial information, including statutory accounts, subject to audit and publication
- A proven track record of advanced financial management and accounting knowledge and skills
Applications may close before the deadline, if sufficient applications have been received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment
Interviews anticipated April 2023.
More information about Merseyside Pension Fund can be found at: www.mpfmembers.org.uk
Please note that in accordance with the Council’s policy, employees who are in a formal redeployment situation will be considered in the first instance for all vacancies.
It is Council policy not to re-appoint any employee who has left under the terms of the Council's Early Voluntary Retirement (EVR) scheme or who have left with a voluntary severance (VS) package, unless in exceptional circumstances.
Applications will be accepted until midnight on the closing date.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy earlier than the specified date should we receive sufficient applications.
Applications can only be accepted through the Jobs page following registration. Forms received via the post will not be processed.
All applicants invited to interview must evidence their right to work in the UK. Details of required documents can be found by clicking the link at the bottom of the Jobs page.
The job description and other supporting documents will not be accessible once the vacancy closing date has passed so if a copy is required you should download it now.