- Employer: Surrey County Council
- Reference: orbis/TP/816/33149
- Published: Mon 15/05/2023, 2:48 AM
- Closing on: Mon 29/05/2023, 2:48 AM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 36 hours per week
- Salary: £41127 - £43589 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
More InformationMore about this employer
Lawyer - Employment
The starting salary for this role is £41,127 - £43,589 per annum depending on experience (with a Lawyers Career Scheme providing the opportunity to progress to £52,625). This salary is based on a 36-hour working week but we are open to applications from candidates looking for part time hours.
Are you looking for a new opportunity to develop your career in Employment Law?
As an Employment Lawyer, you will join a supportive, successful and Lexcel accredited in-house legal team that delivers effective legal advice, representation and assistance to the Council.
Our team culture is one which is supportive and engaged. If you are interested in developing and enhancing your existing skills whilst undertaking quality and varied work in the area of employment, we'd love to hear from you.
You will be someone with experience of employment law in either the private or public sector and have experience of both contentious and non-contentious matters. We recognise transferable skills and are willing to work with candidates to further develop their skills in this rewarding area.
About the Role
You will be expected to carry out a range of key responsibilities, which will include:
- Providing advice on Employment law matters to the Council, Surrey Fire and Rescue, and Surrey schools
- Liaising with Human Resources in order to provide practical support and advice on a wide range of matters including disciplinary action, grievances, discrimination, whistleblowing, restructures and exit strategies
- Managing Employment Tribunal cases on behalf of the Council and liaising with ACAS in relation to conciliation
- Deputising for the Senior Solicitor and assisting in the management of external counsel relationships
- Involvement in internal training and legal updates on relevant topics
You will have the opportunity to join our Lawyers Career Scheme which will allow for accelerated career and salary progression based on performance. You will be supported through training, regular supervision and development plans to continue learning and developing your expertise and so achieve successful progression through the career scheme.
The Council adopts an agile working policy with flexible working arrangements which includes access to our offices in Reigate, Leatherhead and Weybridge combined with remote or home working. We intend to continue working in a flexible manner in the future. The team are very approachable (even when working remotely!) so there will always be someone to provide you with support and discuss matters with.
Should you be looking for a role which is both varied and interesting please click the apply button below to submit your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 29th May 2023.
Interviews will take place on 6th June 2023.
This post has been designated as a politically restricted post in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
- 26 days' holiday rising to 28 days after 2 years' service
- Option to buy up to 10 days' additional holiday
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Employee Assistance Programme
- My Staff Shop/shopping discounts
For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.