- Employer: Falkland Islands Government
- Reference: 200/23/240942
- Published: Wed 17/05/2023, 13:31 PM
- Closing on: Sun 11/06/2023, 20:30 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week
- Salary: Starting Salary Ranging from £32k - £37k (depending on skills and experience) plus 25% Gratuity (taxable) & Flights and Relocation Package
- DBS Check: No
- Location: King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Stanley. Falkland Islands, Falkland Islands
Are you committed to supporting the wellbeing of children and young people? Would you like to work as the School Nurse in a unique and vibrant community in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced health service professionals in the beautiful Falkland Islands.
Our School Nurse works with both the Health and Education directorates to provide a specialist nursing service to meet the health needs of children and young people in the Falkland Islands and provide a link between education, health and the family to benefit the wellbeing of school age children and young people up to 19 years old. The successful applicant will be working with the health visitor as part of the 0-19 service
The School Nurse is responsible for supporting the emotional wellbeing and mental health needs of school age children and young people up to 19 years old in the Falkland Islands, managing a caseload and working alongside Community Mental Health Nurses and the Clinical Psychology Service to provide the Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).
The School Nurse will also work alongside teaching staff and other healthcare professionals to ensure public health is addressed in the education curriculum, enabling young people to make informed choices about their health as well as administering the childhood immunisation programme for school-age children.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and resilient specialist community health nurse, with a minimum of three years post-registration experience in School Nursing / CAMHS / Specialist Community Public Health Nursing.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate safeguarding and management of those with complex needs, working alongside multi-disciplinary teams and families to support the health of children and young people.
- 1st level degree, or equivalent, in nursing enabling registration as a public health/school nurse (or equivalent) with the NMC Registered Specialist Practitioner in School Nursing.
- Experience of working with children or young people with emotional and mental health issues and or complex needs.
- Able to effectively communicate sensitive condition related information to children and young people and their families.
- Experience of Electronic Patient Records Systems and competent Microsoft Office skills.
- Fixed Term Contract, up to 4 years.
- Starting Salary £32,461 to ££37,425 per annum (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £42,946
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity (taxable).
- 41 days paid leave, 30 days paid annual leave plus 11 government and public holidays.
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and any recognised dependents residing with you at post both at the beginning and end of contract, along with additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
For more information on the KEMH and the opportunities available due to the uniqueness of the roles within the service please view the recruitment video at https://youtu.be/MBqyXBasSVc
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and view further information from our online vacancy page.
For further information regarding the position please contact Mandy Heathman, by emailing MHeathman@kemh.gov.fk or by calling (+500) 28000.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form.
Timetable for Recruitment and Selection Process
Closing Date for Applications - 11/06/2023 @ 2030GMT
Shortlisting commencing - 12/06/23
Interviews commencing - 19/06/23
Health & Social Services Department
The Health and Social Services Department is one of the Directorates of the Falkland Islands Government (FIG) which offers a range of fulfilling job opportunities across the full spectrum of public services. Working in the Health and Social Services means that the successful applicant will be able to work in team providing a wide range of health care to our community.
Exciting developments in the Hospital include a new CT Scan, Mammography unit and plans for a new operating theatre along with a separate scheme to build a Vulnerable Person’s residential facility to be known as Tussac House.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.
Click back to edit your search or next to see the next job.