- Employer: London Borough of Newham
- Reference: 2679
- Published: Mon 22/05/2023, 16:40 PM
- Closing on: Sun 11/06/2023, 16:40 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: FULLTIME
- Salary: £30,000 - £44,999
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Greater London
More InformationMore about this employer
£33,351 - £43,815 per annum
3.5 Year Fixed Term Contract
Different from the commercial sector; because it’s the people who call our Borough home who benefit from your hard work. This means different challenges; emerging technologies, evolving regulations, climate change; the challenge of managing public sector finances has never been more complex – or critical to everyday life.
As a Trainee Accountant, you will study to become a CCAB qualified accountant with the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA). Qualification training takes around three years to complete and you will be provided with full financial support towards your training to become a qualified CIPFA Member.
The role will see you take on a series of placements. The work is strategic and practical; technical and people-led. You’ll spend time focusing on operations, from month and year ends to risk management, to financial control. And throughout, you’ll build the knowledge, experience and contacts to progress at speed.
The post holder is accountable to one of: Head of Finance for Strategic Finance, Business Partnering, Financial Control.
The post-holder must be able to co-ordinate, analyse and summarise data.
The post holder should develop the full set of skills and experience required for a newly-qualified accountant whilst widening responsibilities and increasingly working independently.
These will include supporting the closure of accounts and budget development processes, and assisting with the full range of financial advice, accounting and financial management services as required.
- Educated to degree level with a minimum achievement of at least 2:2 or a qualified AAT Accountant.
Knowledge and experience in
- Ability to work confidently and accurately with numerical data.
- Excellent written and oral/presentation skills.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to analyse data/information with a view to drawing logical and accurate conclusions.
Behaviours and personal qualities
- Work in an agile way in line with a flexible work environment.
- Customer service focus
- Working as an effective member of a team
- Able to adapt and play a leading role in cultural and process change.
- Able to provide confidence to Heads of Service when delivering financial information.
- Able to present financial information in a meaningful way to a specific audience.
Once qualified, you’ll be part of a close-knit professional community that enjoys access to exclusive events, accredited courses, e-learning and much more. Everything you need to excel in public finance.
Closing Date: 11th June 2023
We are committed to creating an inclusive, anti-racist environment for all. When you apply for a job at Newham, your application is considered on its merits regardless of your age, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender identity or sexual orientation. If you share our vision and values, and you bring the experience and skills we need, that’s all that matters to us.
The London Borough of Newham has important responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. If you are appointed to a job that involves working with these groups, you may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Please attach your CV and a supporting statement, explaining in no more than x2 A4 sides why and how you meet the criteria for this role.
We practice anonymised recruitment. Please ensure that you remove all personal information from any documents that you upload.
The personal information we have collected from you will be shared with Cifas who will use it to prevent fraud, other unlawful or dishonest conduct, malpractice, and other seriously improper conduct. If any of these are detected you could be refused certain services or employment. Your personal information will also be used to verify your identity. Further details of how your information will be used by us and Cifas, and your data protection rights, can be found by https://www.cifas.org.uk/fpn.
Click back to edit your search or next to see the next job.