Our vision for our children and young people - To make North Somerset a truly great place for children and young people to thrive; where all have the best possible life and opportunities, including those who are vulnerable, disadvantaged and/or have special educational or additional needs.
There are many reasons why North Somerset is an attractive place for Social Workers to live, work and visit. For most, the district is renowned for its wonderful natural assets, including part of the Mendip Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The vision and commitment of Children’s Service in North Somerset ensures that a high quality and child centred approach, and clear model of practise based on building effective relationships - ensuring the right help at the right time.
Every Child should grow up in a safe and loving home, where they can feel supported to navigate through challenges that life presents. We are committed to help children, young people and their families who are at risk of entering care or at risk of family breakdown and provide mediation, reconnections, or support in transition.
We work to the 6 fundamentals:
- Relationship matters
- Seeing hearing the child or young person’s voice relating to their lived experience
- Understanding the child’s or young persons lived experience
- Responding to child’s voice or young people’s voice to improve their lived experience
- Outcome focused practise
- Language that cares
North Somerset Council is on an exciting journey of further transformation and improvement in its Children’s Services. We are looking for passionate, creative, experienced child centred qualified social workers to join us. You will be supported by a strong and consistent senior management team, with a manageable caseload, high quality reflective supervision working in supportive and creative social work teams.
If you thrive on the opportunity to deliver high quality practice to children and young people whether that be in the Front Door, Family Support & Safeguarding or within the Children with Disabilities Team and want make a difference to children and young people we would like to hear from you.
We offer a culture of continuous learning with excellent training opportunities and implement Signs of Safety as our preferred practice approach.
- A competitive salary
- Generous holiday
- Excellent local government pension scheme
- Family friendly policies and flexible working
- Excellent training
- Free parking at council offices
- Access to pool cars, bikes and cycle to work scheme
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme – a 24 hour independent, free and confidential advice and support service
This position is exempt under the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions) Order 1975 and is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Valid driving licence and own transport, or be able to provide alternative, suitable method of travel is an essential condition for this role.
This is a permanent position with full time or part time hours available.
For this role you must:
- Be a qualified Social Worker (with a Social Work England Registration) with a passion for working with children and their families to help improve their outcomes and to keep them safe from harm using a strengths-based approach.
- Have sound knowledge of relevant childcare legislation, including a clear understanding of ‘Working Together to Safeguard Children’ and fostering regulations and legislation.
- Have an ability to build effective relationships with children, young people and families.
Want to know more and apply?
For an informal discussion, please contact Shelley Caldwell, Head of Family Support & Safeguarding on 07824 085762.
Anticipated interview date: To be advised on receipt of applications
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
North Somerset Council – Open, Fairer, Greener.