We have a new and exciting opportunity available for a Corporate Investigation Officer to join our Internal Audit and Investigation Team on a full time, permanent basis.
As the Corporate Investigation Officer, you will play a key role in undertaking a variety of corporate fraud investigations across the council, in order to prevent and detect fraud, irregularities and to safeguard the public purse.
You will have the opportunity to assist in the development of a fraud plan, as well as undertake a variety of investigations against fraud, theft and errors and work collaboratively with the Head of Internal Audit and other colleagues to identify improvements to practices and processes.
We are looking for a highly organised, motivated, and conscientious individual, with the ability to work under pressure, be a strong team player and a key member of our proactive and talented Internal Audit and Investigation Team. The team has just been assessed at the highest category of compliance “Fully Comply” with the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards following an External Assessment by our Professional Body, the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy.
- Assisting the Head of Internal Audit and Investigation in developing a Fraud Plan of activity based on the council’s priorities.
- Undertaking a variety of both reactive and proactive investigations to prevent, detect and take appropriate action for all internal and external fraud, theft and error and to drive improvements in internal controls across the Council.
- Responding to national fraud drives e.g. National Fraud Initiative Data Matching exercises.
- Overseeing the Council’s Whistleblowing hotline and Whistleblowing and fraud email accounts.
- Responding to Police, Freedom of Information and Data Protection requests.
- Working collaboratively and positively with team members and other departmental colleagues to identify improvements in working practices to detect and prevent fraud.
- Experience of undertaking proactive fraud drives is essential.
- Good knowledge of investigation techniques and legislation dealing with investigations (legislation surrounding the assessment and payment of Council Tax Reduction Scheme and other Council Tax discounts and exemptions).
- Strong IT skills: Microsoft Windows, Office, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Previous customer service experience
You’ll receive a fantastic benefits package including 30 days annual leave (plus Bank Holidays), a local government pension scheme, flexible working arrangements, an employee assistance programme, a host of discounts, onsite gym and much more!
For an informal chat about the role please contact Catherine Hickman (Head of Internal Audit and Investigation) on Catherine.email@example.com or 07885 983378.
Closing date: Sunday 8th October 2023, 11pm
Interview date: W/C 16th October 2023
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment. All successful candidates for this role will be subject to Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.