Job Title: Performance and Development Manager - Diversity and Inclusion
Location: Remote/flexible working with requirement to attend the office at County Hall, Hertford one day per fortnight, as well as other face to face meetings as required. Note the office location will move to Farnham House in Stevenage in 2024.
Starting Salary: £43,516 progressing to £48,587 pa - Pay increase pending
Hours: 37 per week
Contract: Fixed Term - 12 Months to cover Maternity
We are on a journey of building equity, diversity and inclusion into everything we do. We want to make diversity and inclusion the heart of all that we do in Children’s Services in Hertfordshire.
For this post, we’re looking for someone who is both passionate and experienced in supporting diversity and inclusion, and who will be confident in working with stakeholders at all levels across our department to drive forward change.
This is an exciting time to join us as whilst we’ve already got a strong strategy in place, you will be at the forefront of taking us to the next stage: ensuring our strategy is implemented and that diversity and inclusion is truly embedded in all our work.
This role is fundamental to creating innovative approaches to diversity and inclusion and is hosted in a well-established and supportive improvement team, and so you will benefit from regular skills development and peer learning and will also join a network of Diversity and Inclusion Mangers in other departments.
You will work with the Diversity and Inclusion Board to ensure the successful implementation of the Children’s Services Diversity and Inclusion Strategy. This will include:
- Managing the complex work of the Board and its workstreams using robust project management and change management techniques.
- Keeping up to date with diversity and inclusion issues, trends and best practice and acting to embed them in the service.
- Providing colleagues across the department with excellent consultancy skills, supporting them to identify and resolve issues relating to diversity and inclusion and to implement culture and process changes.
- Developing strong working relationships with stakeholders and colleagues to ensure a customer focussed approach.
- Developing and implementing mechanisms to ensure the Diversity and Inclusion Board can report on and evidence the positive difference it is making
What we’re looking for:
- An understanding and awareness of diversity and inclusion issues and best practice.
- Track record in promoting and furthering the diversity and inclusion agenda with skill, conviction and diplomacy
- Works collaboratively with colleagues, clients and partners with a customer focussed proactive approach
- Dynamic self-starter who is proactive and motivated to take responsibility for projects and resolve issues.
- Proven ability to manage projects from beginning to end.
- Highly developed communication and consulting skills and ability to adapt these to meet the needs of stakeholders
- Influencing and negotiating skills to make effective use of relationships
- Has an understanding of the structures and relationships of a large local authority and uses that awareness to pick up on emerging issues.
- Able to provide clarity and clear objectives in ambiguous environments.
- Demonstrates HCC’s values and behaviours and acts as a role model to influence and develop others.
This role is at the heart of what we do in Children’s Services. You will help us to be more inclusive, which will in turn make a positive difference to the experience of our workforce and the children and families we support
Closing Date: 24th September 2023
Interview Date: 10th October 2023
For an informal discussion and more information please contact: Ruth Fennemore 01992 556409
Benefits of working for us:
• Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
• Excellent Career Development
• Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
• Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
• Shopping Discounts
• Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
Disability Confident: We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
English Fluency: The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post (for those whose language is a signed language the provision of a sign language interpreter who speaks English to the necessary standard of fluency will be required). Further information about the legal requirement can be found here.
Fixed Term and/or Secondment: This is a Fixed Term or Secondment vacancy. If you work for HCC or any other Local Authority and would like to be considered as a Secondment contract, please ensure you complete the attached Secondment Form as part of your application. If you do not, your application will be considered as a Fixed Term Contract only.
CS Roles Only: We expect all Children Services employees to fulfil Hertfordshire's Professional Promise for how children, young people & young adults with special educational needs and / or disabilities and their families should be treated. It is our agreement to place families and children at the centre of what we do, and helps parents and carers to understand and be able to hold us to account for how we provide our services. For further information please visit: ‘Professional Promise’
How to Apply
As part of the application, you will be required to upload your most recent CV ensuring gaps in employment have been addressed and asked to answer the 4 key questions which are located at the end of the advert and a template can be found in the 'Available Documents'.
1. What skills and experience do you have of promoting diversity and inclusion?
2. What challenges have you experienced when promoting diversity and inclusion and how did you overcome them?
3. Please describe a project you have managed, explaining how you managed it effectively.
4. How have you developed successful relationships with stakeholders at different levels of an organisation?
If you do not provide answers to the questions and upload to your application, your application will be rejected.