Permanent - Full time 37 hours
Home and Office based
We have an exciting opportunity for the right person to join our Planning Enforcement Team to support and contribute to delivering our vision in protecting the quality of life of our residents. Our team is a friendly, small based team with highly skilled planning officers that are always happy to help and support.
About the role
This role will give the successful candidate an opportunity to carry out a wide variety of Planning Enforcement work, including:
- Undertaking site visits
- Investigating and resolving potential breaches of planning control
- Analysing development proposals
- Gathering evidence and writing follow-up letters, statements and reports
- Investigations which may lead to enforcement notices and prosecution proceedings
- Communication with residents, Councillors and other development professionals
You will have strong communication skills in order to negotiate resolutions to planning breaches and manage the concerns of affected residents.
We are looking for:
- An enthusiastic and self-motivated officer
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Competent user of Microsoft Office, e.g. Word, Excel, TEAMS, Sharepoint
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to effectively prioritise workload
- Proven team working skills
- A good problem solver and have a flexible approach to your work.
- It is essential that you hold a full driving licence
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 33 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Catherine.Lewis@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 24 September 2023
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Interview Process: Question and Answer Format
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.