Internal Audit plays a vital role in supporting the management team to deliver the aims and values of Bracknell Forest Council which have such a positive impact on peoples lives. We are a part of the organisation’s governance framework which underpins all the Council’s activities.
This is the ideal destination for an ambitious Principal Auditor with IT audit expertise who wants to widen their IT and governance audit experience and make a positive impact as part of a developing in-house service. We’re always looking for ways we can help the organisation do things better. Your opinion, experience from other organisations and ideas for innovation will really count.
Because we are Bracknell Forest.
What it’s like working in our team…
We are a small, friendly in-house team that has been delivering internal wanting to develop an innovative service which understands management’s assurance needs and supports management in risk-based improvement of the control environment and securing value for money. Recruitment of an experienced Principal Auditor who can bring with them their IT and governance audit experience is the next phase in the development of the in-house audit function. We have hybrid working arrangements which enable us to work from home to the majority of our working week.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training…
- Support the Head of Audit and Risk Management in developing the in-house internal audit service and innovative audit approaches and deputise as required;
- Develop expertise for the purpose of undertaking governance and IT audit reviews to a high professional standard.
- Plan and carry out complex audit assignments focusing on governance and IT audits as directed by the Head of Audit and risk Management, having due regard to professional standards (utilising the relevant tools and techniques), internal quality procedures and any requirements of Internal Audit management.
- Plan, supervise and carry out quality control review over the work of Audit Officers and Internal Audit Apprentices as and when required.
- Design and create assignment terms of reference (in consultation with management) and audit work programmes that meet the proposed scope of work, ensuring due regard is given to risk, control and governance.
- Provide a draft report and concise working papers clearly documenting all audit evidence for management review. File papers should be prepared logically and in accordance with established procedures.
- To further develop the recommendation tracker and reporting to management and oversee the maintenance of the audit recommendation tracker with the assistance of the Audit Officers and Apprentices.
- Schedule and manage you own time within budget for the portfolio of reviews assigned to you.
The benefits you will experience are…
- Flexible and agile working opportunities including home working, flexi-time and carrying out audits remotely.
- Generous annual leave entitlement of 28 days rising to 33 days with the option to sell 5 days or buy up to 10 additional annual leave days.
- Local Government Pension Scheme.
- An inclusive and friendly working environment.
- Opportunity for professional IT audit training.
What we’re looking for…
An experienced and qualified Principal Auditor with IT audit experience wanting to predominantly work on IT and governance audits. Local government experience, detailed working knowledge of internal audit best practice and PSIAS and good time management. The successful candidate will be proficient in undertaking IT and governance audits as well as complex general audits analysing and assimilating information, have strong communication skills, be confident in engaging with senior managers and able to generate innovative ideas and practical solutions.
Interviews will be held on 20th October 2023.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact:
Name: Sally Hendrick
Job Title: Head of Audit and Risk Management
Phone Number: 01344 352092
Name: Stuart McKellar
Job Title: Executive Director: Resources
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
We can only accept applications from candidates currently residing in the UK.
Any candidates that are currently residing in the UK and wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please.
Bracknell Forest Council – Working for Equality. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.