- Salary Range
- Contract Type
- Full Time/Part Time
- Full Time
- Closing Date
Job Title: Application Engineer
Location: Stevenage hybrid
Starting Salary: £35,745
Hours: 37 per week
Contract: Fixed Term 24 months
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
A rare opportunity to join a team of skilled application developers and to help shape Hertfordshire’s applications portfolio of the future!
As an Application Developer, you will collaborate with other team members to develop user friendly and maintainable web forms and websites. Your clean, efficient, and well documented front-end code will meet our high-quality standards.
You will conduct thorough testing to ensure proper functionality and participate in code reviews to improve overall quality and maintainability.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To provide the first contact support for business applications. The role includes receipt and processing, or escalation of, application change requests.
- To provide first stage diagnosis of application problems and either resolve or escalate to other members of the team.
- Work with the customer to identify and challenge business requirements, translate them to technical specifications and recommend solutions.
- Design, develop, document, analyse, create, test, and modify web applications, programs, and integrations.
- To record all activity for inbound incidents and service requests, ensuring that anything that is escalated contains full details, has the correct category and sub-category designation and is correctly prioritised.
- Liaise with third party suppliers to log incidents and service request
- To contribute to the maintenance of the Knowledge Management System.
- Liaise with incident, problem and change management team members.
- Maintain good all-round knowledge of industry trends as well as current and emerging technologies.
- Provide advice and guidance to Junior Application Developers.
- Out of hours support (where required)
- Liaise with Project Managers, Technical Architects and Business Analysts on project briefs.
You will have a primary focus of working on projects, overseeing the completion of service requests and the resolution of incidents in line with service level agreements.
You will also be responsible for maintaining and upgrading legacy applications and managing integrations with existing internal and external applications.
- 3+ years’ experience of developing using HTML and CSS
- Advanced knowledge of writing SQL statements
- Awareness of web accessibility standards (WCAG2.1)
- Familiarity of source code control (e.g., Git)
- Experience of supporting and maintaining applications in a live environment
- Knowledge of working in the Verj.io development platform (e.g. Ebase)
- Experience in RESTful API development
- Experience of working in an agile environment
- Working with Oracle databases
This is a unique chance to embark on an exciting new career working for Hertfordshire County Council. You just need to bring an open mind and a thirst for learning.
Closing Date: 24.11.2023
Interview Date: 28.11.2023
For an informal discussion and more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of working for us:
• Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
• Excellent Career Development
• Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
• Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
• Shopping Discounts
• Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
Disability Confident: We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
English Fluency: The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post (for those whose language is a signed language the provision of a sign language interpreter who speaks English to the necessary standard of fluency will be required). Further information about the legal requirement can be found here.
Fixed Term and/or Secondment: This is a Fixed Term or Secondment vacancy. If you work for HCC or any other Local Authority and would like to be considered as a Secondment contract, please ensure you complete the attached Secondment Form as
How to Apply
As part of the application, you will be required to upload your most recent CV ensuring gaps in employment have been addressed and asked to answer the 4 key questions which are located at the end of the advert and a template can be found in the 'Available Documents'.
1.Tell us about your experience in developing web applications and if you have any knowledge or experience in working in the Verj.io development platform (e.g., Ebase)?
3.Why is it important to produce clean, well-structured, and commented code?
4.Outline how your skills would meet the technical requirements defined within the job outline.
If you do not provide answers to the questions and upload to your application, your application will be rejected.