Planning and Highways Lawyer
Where-ever you live in the UK talk to us about a career in law that matters!
Wokingham Borough Council have an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated Lawyer (Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives) to join our in-house legal service and play an essential part in our planning and highways projects.
Like all of the Council’s Legal Services we work flexibly with most lawyers working primarily from home. This is an exciting opportunity that offers an incredible range of other benefits including 31 days annual leave (in addition to Bank Holidays), a fantastic local government pension scheme, a host of employee discounts and much more.
You will have the opportunity to work on a range of interesting, high profile and rewarding projects, and the potential to explore other areas of law depending on work demands.
As the Planning and Highways Lawyer, you will have the opportunity to be involved in exciting projects around issues such as new residential development and improvements to the borough’s infrastructure.
We are looking for a candidate with an understanding and knowledge of either Planning and / or Highways Law, combined with a willingness to learn and develop within the other discipline.
You may have already worked within the public sector, but we also encourage candidates from the private sector as we often have before in several areas of law. Full support will be given to help the right individual develop.
- To offer legal support to officers and councillors on all aspects of planning and highways law.
- Working on a wide range of planning and highways related matters (including drafting and negotiating highways and planning agreements) to support the extensive development ongoing in the borough and continual improvement to the borough’s infrastructure ensuring the goals and desires of the Council are proactively achieved.
- Providing legal advice to officers and councillors on all aspects of highways and planning law including at the Council’s Planning Committee as and when required.
- Contribute to ensuring officers and members are professionally advised and trained in relevant developments in law pertinent to area of expertise.
- Responsible for a varied and complex caseload which is often challenging but exceptionally rewarding and with the aptitude to prioritise significant matters accordingly.
- Solicitor, Barrister or Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives
- Adaptable and highly organised to manage projects
- Knowledge of highways and /or planning law and some practical experience practising highways or planning law preferably, but not necessarily, in local government.
- Ability to work professionally and confidently in an organised manner with minimal supervision.
- A competent IT user, team player and confident managing a wide case load
- Strong communication skills with the ability to engage effectively with a range of people both internally and externally
If you’re looking for a rewarding, varied and interesting career, that provides flexibility and a good work/life balance, click the link below and apply today!
For more information or for an informal discussion about the role, please contact Lyndsay Jennings on 07824 548649 or at Lyndsay.Jennings@wokingham.gov.uk or Neil Allen on 07827 311667 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Sunday 3rd December 2023, 11pm
Please be aware that we will be reviewing the applications we receive on a daily basis, and we reserve the right to close the advert early if suitable candidates are identified.
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.