We are currently recruiting for a Senior Adult Social Care lawyer to join our Adult Social Care and Education Team.
We host a Joint Legal Team, a long-standing shared legal service for all the Berkshire councils and a recognised centre of excellence for childcare, adults and education law. As well as leading a highly regarded internal Corporate Legal Team, serving the needs of the Council across a wide range of functions
Now is the perfect time to join us as we deliver our ambitions to be the best place to practice law in local government; being close to our customers, recruiting the best talent, successfully deploying legal technology and ensuring the continued growth of the business to new customers.
Reading’s Legal Service provides the Council and its partners with the highest quality professional legal advice and representation which allows them to run their organisations well, and to serve our community.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role:
You will require an excellent working knowledge of adult social care legislation.
You will be part of a dynamic team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As part of Team Reading, you will play your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place by:
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel and within this role you’ll have the opportunity to work in a way that suits your lifestyle
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do.
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential.
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way.
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed.
We are looking for someone to
- Hold a caseload of Court of Protection matters.
- Judicial Review cases
- Advise on Care Act 2014
- Advise on no recourse to public funds
- Ordinary residence
- Deprivation of Liberty
- Mental Health
- Support colleagues in inquest work
- Supervise and support junior colleagues
- Team player who can support and be supported effectively
- Work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Conduct your own advocacy
- Provide advice to a wide range of stakeholders
To apply for this role, you will have:
- A current practising certificate and be entitled to practice in England as a Solicitor, Barrister, or Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executive
- Post qualification experience of educational work including SEN appeals.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines and work well whilst under pressure.
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Be able to conduct your own advocacy.
- An ability to provide advice to a wide range of stakeholders.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 33 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme(LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Lindsay Marks, Interim Adult Social Care and Education Team Leader at Lindsay.Marks@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 26th November 2023
Interview Date: To be confirmed.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.