We are seeking an enthusiastic, empathetic, passionate, organised and team-oriented individual who enjoys a challenge and embraces change. To work with us to continue to be the best landlord in the town by changing lives for the better and strengthen communities. We value our staff and the difference that they make to our customers.
Our Housing and Communities Teams are passionate about the people who live in our town; our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We have a great track record in building strategic partnerships, successfully bidding for Government funding, major project delivery.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About this Role
This role is a hybrid of home and office working as well as being out on our estates. This is a very varied and rewarding role where no two days are the same. One day you will be visiting residents in their home to discuss affordable payment arrangements and the next carrying out tenancy sign ups.
You'll also carry out a range of tasks including looking at dedicated accounts and really getting to know your tenants, providing expert welfare benefit and income maximisation advice. You will have an eye for detail and will want to do the best by our residents in supporting them to sustain their tenancies.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
You’ll be a self-starter with a proactive approach to your workload and possess the ability to work without close supervision. You’ll also have excellent customer services skills and the following experience which is required for this role:
- Experience in income management or debt recovery/collection (preferably in a social housing environment, although this is not essential)
- A working knowledge of welfare benefits
- Effective decision-making skills, a diplomatic and confidential approach, and the ability to prioritise a busy workload.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 33 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Sarah Edmond, Housing Income Recovery Team Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 26th November 2023
Proposed Interview Date: To be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.