We are seeking an exceptional individual to join us as Internal Auditor. This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of developing a new team at a challenging time for Thurrock Council. Thurrock is an organisation that is changing at pace, one where you can make a real difference in the lives of the people we serve. We are looking for motivated individuals with a drive to realise our ambitions for the organisation and the borough.
Salary: £35,982 to £41,634 per annum (pro rata – only if part time)
37 Hours per Week - Hybrid working
Thurrock Council’s Finance team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. The Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. The team will be working alongside DLUHC appointed Commissioners to deliver the improvements required. It will be challenging but you will have the unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
The Financial Assurance, Risk, Internal Audit and Insurance services team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans. Whilst we recognise there is still a lot to be done to re-establish itself with its members, the community, and other stakeholders this is an exciting time to join our team and play your part in a team whose ambition is to have a truly positive and transformational impact on the future of the Council and the community. We want to create a legacy we can all be proud of!
What you will be doing:
- Undertaking risk-based audit reviews to appropriate quality standards, within agreed deadlines and budgets.
- Preparing clear and concise audit reports using standard audit report template, documenting the outcomes and assurance opinion of each audit review together with practical recommendations
- Planning and organising own workloadto include agreeing achievable deadlines with client following consultation with Senior Auditor/Audit Manager.
- Monitor workload and timescales on a frequent basis to ensure all deadlines are met and time is used productively in the delivery of internal audit assignments.
- Client liaison / representing the internal audit service– attend key meetings with audit clients, including scoping meeting and closeout meetings.
- To work with and support the Internal Audit Manager and Senior Auditor on the development of risk-based audit plans and to provide a robust annual opinion on the adequacy of the overall control environment.
What you’ll have:
- PIIA (or equivalent qualification from the CIIA) or AAT.
- Experience of delivering internal audit within a local authority or similarly complex organisation.
- Substantial generalist internal auditing experience
- Experience of writing audit reports and presenting audit findings and recommendations to service management
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure whilst ensuring attention to detail.
- Motivated, enthusiastic and keen to progress and take responsibility for own development.
What you’ll get:
- Opportunity to shape the service successfully and play a leading management role.
- Leave a successful legacy both within the council and community
- Be in a role that will truly challenge you and that will fulfil your own ambitions.
Our Offer to you:
Thurrock is a fantastic place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year + Bank holidays - rising to 30 days after 5 years' service.
- Fantastic defined benefits pension scheme – Home | Essex Pension Fund
- Flexible / hybrid working opportunities to promote work-life balance
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
Please note a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for this post.
Advert Closing Date:
- Redeployment Only: 24th November 2023
- Internal & External: 30th November 2023
Interview Date: Tuesday 5th December 2023
Please note the interviews will be done as a two-stage process, consisting of an interview and an assessment centre. The assessment centres will be within the week after the original interview if candidates are successful.
Contact for any additional questions or information about this role:
Michael Thomas, Interim Financial Adviser, email: Michael.Thomas@Thurrock.gov.uk
To view the Job Profile and Person Specification please follow the link below:
JD - Internal Auditor