We are seeking an exceptional individual to join us as a Risk Manager. This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of developing a new team at a challenging time for Thurrock Council. Thurrock is an organisation that is changing at pace, one where you can make a real difference in the lives of the people we serve. We are looking for motivated individuals with a drive to realise our ambitions for the organisation and the borough.
Salary: £50,511 to £58,266 per annum (pro rata – only if part time)
37 Hours per Week - Hybrid working
Thurrock Council’s Finance team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. The Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. The team will be working alongside DLUHC appointed Commissioners to deliver the improvements required. It will be challenging but you will have the unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
The Financial Assurance, Risk, Internal Audit and Insurance services team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans. Whilst we recognise there is still a lot to be done to re-establish itself with its members, the community, and other stakeholders this is an exciting time to join our team and play your part in a team whose ambition is to have a truly positive and transformational impact on the future of the Council and the community. We want to create a legacy we can all be proud of!
What you will be doing:
- Provide professional leadership and support to senior leadership and departmental management in respect of the Council’s risk management arrangements.
- Collaborate with service areas and the insurance team to contribute to the pro-active development of risk management and loss control strategies to improve the Council’s risk management arrangements.
- Keep the risk management framework up to date and ensure the on-going development of the Council’s risk management arrangements.
- Provide advice on application and interpretation of financial regulations and standing orders and the Council’s financial procedures and practices as they relate to risk management.
- Seek opportunities to implement continuous improvement so that Thurrock risk team can be best in class through liaison with sector professionals and trade organisations such as ALARM.
What you’ll have:
- Professional Qualification or equivalent eg Institute of Risk Management (IRM).
- Understanding of the workings of local government including knowledge of major legislative and other matters facing local government in Directorate service areas, both at present and in the future.
- Experience working in a risk management environment preferably within local government or complex organisation.
- Experience of working in a political environment.
What you’ll get:
- Opportunity to shape the service successfully and play a leading management role.
- Leave a successful legacy both within the council and community
- Be in a role that will truly challenge you and that will fulfil your own ambitions.
Our Offer to you:
Thurrock is a fantastic place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year + Bank holidays - rising to 30 days after 5 years' service.
- Fantastic defined benefits pension scheme – Home | Essex Pension Fund
- Flexible / hybrid working opportunities to promote work-life balance
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
Please note a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for this post.
Advert Closing Date:
- Redeployment Only: 17 November 2023
- Internal & External: 24 November 2023
Interview Date: Friday 8th December 2023
Please note the interviews will be done as a two-stage process, consisting of an interview and an assessment centre. The assessment centres will be within the week after the original interview if candidates are successful.
Contact for any additional questions or information about this role:
Michael Thomas, Interim Financial Adviser, email: Michael.Thomas@Thurrock.gov.uk
To view the Job Profile and Person Specification please follow the link below:
jobprofile - Risk - Manager.pdf