We are seeking an exceptional individual to join us as Head of Financial Strategy and Planning. This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of developing a new team at a challenging time for Thurrock Council. Thurrock is an organisation that is changing at pace, one where you can make a real difference in the lives of the people we serve. We are looking for motivated individuals with a drive to realise our ambitions for the organisation and the borough.
Salary: £71,193 to £82,275 per annum (pro rata – only if part time)
37 Hours per Week - Hybrid Working
Thurrock Council’s Finance team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. The Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. The team will be working alongside DLUHC appointed Commissioners to deliver the improvements required. It will be challenging but you will have the unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
The Corporate and Strategic Finance team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its new plans for the future. Whilst we recognise there is still a lot to be done to re-establish itself with its members, the community, and other stakeholders this is an exciting time to join our team and play your part in a team whose aspiration is to have a truly positive and transformational impact on the future of the Council and the community. We want to create a legacy we can all be proud of!
What you will be doing:
- Leading on a wide range of corporate and strategic financial areas including the development and update of the Medium Term Financial Strategy, the budget, Collection Fund, treasury management, strategic financial planning for wholly owned companies, financial forecasting and proposed changes to funding regimes.
- Lead on ensuring the production and presentation of financial management information, budget monitoring, trading reports, financial models etc which are accurate and timely, and appropriate to the audience.
- Fostering a high-performance culture including carrying out internal service reviews to improve value for money, efficiency and ensure the service is at the leading edge of service delivery and development and deliver an efficiency savings target for their service to be determined by the Chief Finance Officers’ Management team annually.
- Be an effective lead on any allocated finance improvement projects, as appropriate.
- Assess the implications of all emerging and potential issues / new policies and ensure the Chief Finance Officer is promptly and fully briefed.
What you’ll have:
- Full CCAB accounting qualification
- Demonstrable commitment to continuous professional development.
- Substantial experience of accounting in a local authority or similar organisation.
- Experience of managing staff and operating at a senior management level within a large organisation.
- Experience of leading a team of professional accountancy staff
- Authoritative knowledge of developing medium term financial strategy, budgets, treasury strategies and a well-developed knowledge of working in a complex organisation
What you’ll get:
- Opportunity to shape the service successfully and play a leading management role.
- Leave a successful legacy both within the council and community
- Be in a role that will truly challenge you and that will fulfil your own ambitions.
Our Offer to you:
Thurrock is a fantastic place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year + Bank holidays - rising to 30 days after 5 years' service.
- Fantastic defined benefits pension scheme – Home | Essex Pension Fund
- Flexible / hybrid working opportunities to promote work-life balance
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
Please note a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for this post.
Advert Closing Date:
- Redeployment Only: 17 November 2023
- Internal & External: 24 November 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday 13th December 2023a
Please note the interviews will be done as a two-stage process, consisting of an interview and an assessment centre. The assessment centres will be within the week after the original interview if candidates are successful.
Contact for any additional questions or information about this role:
Michael Thomas, Interim Financial Adviser, email: Michael.Thomas@Thurrock.gov.uk
Our vision – An ambitious and collaborative community which is proud of its heritage and excited by its diverse opportunities and future.
Thurrock Council is committed to equal opportunities. As a Disability Confident Employer, disabled people will be offered an interview where they meet all essential criteria on the person specification. We champion flexible working and job share applications are welcome.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.
To view the Job Profile and Person Specification please follow the link below:
jobprofile - Head - of - Financial - Strategy - and - Planning - Corporate - Finance.pdf