We are seeking a number of exceptional individuals to join us as Assistant Category Managers in our Procurement and Contract Management Team within the Finance Directorate. The roles will involve shaping / developing and providing procurement support within the category areas below: • Corporate Services • Environment • Children Social care, Adult social care and Public Health These roles offer an exciting opportunity to be part of an established and growing team at a challenging time for Thurrock Council. Thurrock is an organisation that is changing at pace, one where you can make a real difference in the lives of the people we serve. We are looking for motivated individuals with a drive to realise our ambitions for the organisation and the borough.
Salary: £35,982 to £41,463 per annum (pro rata – only if part time)
37 Hours per Week - Hybrid Working
Thurrock Council’s Finance team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. The Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. The team will be working alongside DLUHC appointed Commissioners to deliver the improvements required. It will be challenging but you will have the unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
The Procurement and Contract Management team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans. This is an exciting time to join our team and play your part in a team whose ambition is to have a truly positive and transformational impact on the future of the Council and the community. We want to create a legacy we can all be proud of!
What you will be doing:
- Managing and delivering procurement opportunities for the relevant category area
- Advising and/or leading on the full range of procurement activities for relevant categories including training on procurement and category management, benchmarking, market intelligence, support drafting contract specifications, managing the end-to-end tendering process and other commercial support as required.
- Undertaking category and spend analysis.
- Working alongside the Category Manager in developing category plans for how the Council spends money with suppliers across the private, public, and voluntary, community and faith sector.
- Maintaining the necessary relevant records and systems to ensure transparency and a clear audit trail of procurement activities.
What you’ll have:
- Knowledge and experience of working in one or more of the category areas below
- Corporate Services
- Children Social care, Adult social care and Public Health.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others across the business (including suppliers and external stakeholders) to ensure procurement aspects are understood and addressed accordingly.
- Sound working knowledge of Public Contract Regulations and their application when undertaking tendering activities.
- Good working knowledge of the procurement cycle and understanding of procurement as a methodology to secure best value.
- Experience of reviewing contracting arrangements and to ensure all contracts are tendered and let in accordance with industry best practice.
- Experience of utilising e-procurement systems.
- Experience of working with excel and databases to collate, analyse and interpret data to inform procurement decisions.
What you’ll get:
- Opportunity to shape the service successfully and play a leading role.
- Leave a successful legacy both within the council and community
- Be in a role that will truly challenge you and that will fulfil your own ambitions.
Our Offer to you:
Thurrock is a fantastic place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year + Bank holidays - rising to 30 days after 5 years' service.
- Fantastic defined benefits pension scheme – Home | Essex Pension Fund
- Flexible / hybrid working opportunities to promote work-life balance
- Wellbeing initiatives
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
Please note a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for this post.
Advert Closing Date:
- Redeployment Only: 24th November 2023
- Internal & External: 30th November 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday 8th December 2023
Please note the interviews will be done as a two-stage process, consisting of an interview and an assessment centre. The assessment centres will be within the week after the original interview if candidates are successful.
Contact for any additional questions or information about this role:
Michael Thomas, Interim Financial Adviser, email: Michael.Thomas@Thurrock.gov.uk
To view the Job Profile and Person Specification please follow the link below:
jobprofile - Assistant - Category - Manager.pdf