A superb opportunity has emerged for a reviews and appeals officer to join Thurrock Council.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate with a range of skills including knowledge of the homelessness reduction act, landlord and tenant law and the statutory reviews/appeals process. In addition, developing innovative housing solutions for vulnerable individuals and families, experience in partnership working and commissioning of housing services.
The role is responsible for leading the housing solutions service in matters relating to policy development, monitoring and service performance and improvement. The successful candidate should have:
- Extensive experience in working in accordance with the Housing Act 1996 Part VI and VII and the Code of Guidance coupled with the current case law, Housing Regulations and good practices to ensure the decision reached is legal and lawful.
- Knowledge of the relevant legislation including Landlord and Tenant Act, Housing Act 1985 and the Protection from Eviction Act 1977), Localism Act 2012 , Welfare Reform Act 2012 and DWP guidance on personal and housing benefits.
In addition have the ability to develop the service:
- To be fully compliant with all statutory requirements of the reviews and appeals functions
- Undertaking relevant projects as required aligning the Housing Solutions services
- Providing statutory and professional advice on Part 6 &7 of the Housing Act 1996 as amended to the senior management team and housing colleagues
- Timely handling of all legal enquiries, challenges, members enquiries
- Working closely with the Housing Solutions Managers to develop the service in readiness for the Homelessness Reduction Act.
- Maintaining the integrity of all relevant data relating to the appeals and reviews
- Attending local relevant forums and meetings as and when required
- Leading on the Council's response to the recent Homelessness Reduction Act.
Promoting a philosophy of putting service user needs first at every opportunity and to put in place management arrangements that work to action this. Representing Councils at local and national level, attending and presenting at such conferences, seminars and working parties as may be required. Leading the team that will deliver assessments and appropriate preventive support to those in housing needs. Being responsible for homelessness decisions on behalf of the council in line with current legislation, case law, Council policies and best practice.
Strong knowledge of the homelessness environment, law and best practice is required.
Please be aware that Thurrock Council are undertaking a pay review which will affect the grading of this vacancy – full details will be provided at conditional offer stage to the preferred candidate
Our vision – An ambitious and collaborative community which is proud of its heritage and excited by its diverse opportunities and future.
Thurrock is an exciting place to live and work. We are an emerging cultural and arts centre, home to the production centre for the Royal Opera House and the National Skills Academy for Creative and Cultural Skills. We have retail and leisure that is among the best, with the magnificent intu Lakeside, and breath-taking countryside all around. There is over 1,000 acres of land ready for commercial development and there are likely to be 30,000 new homes built with transport links that can get you into London and other parts of the UK quickly and easily.
We are an area of massive growth; £6bn has already been invested by the private sector in Thurrock. We have seen 7,000 new jobs created, with a further 30,000 anticipated in the next 20 years, and 1,170 new businesses in the borough, with leading centres in ports and logistics, retail and creative industries.
Thurrock Council is an Investors in People (IIP) Gold accredited organisation and committed to equal opportunities. As a Disability Confident Employer, disabled people will be offered an interview where they meet all essential criteria on the person specification. We champion flexible working and job share applications are welcome.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.
How to Apply
Please apply online by clicking Apply. Please note, we do not accept CVs. If you have any difficulties in submitting an application form please email firstname.lastname@example.org.