Front End Developer
£47,304 - £51,117 per annum (PO6-PO7)
Permanent - Full Time
We’re looking for great people who want to develop their careers with us and help us to become the most user centred IT and digital team in the country
Hackney is London's most diverse and dynamic borough. Reaching from the Square Mile to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, this is an area of rapid economic growth, particularly in technology, media, fashion and other creative industries. Hackney has more green spaces than any other inner London borough; some of the capital's finest schools; first class transport connections; excellent public services; and thriving arts, cultural and retail sectors. We seek people with ambition, creativity and commitment to ensure our economic growth provides benefits for everyone and creates opportunities to transform the lives of residents.
Hackney ICT is a great place to work! Our team support vital public services across the borough and are working every day to make things better for our residents and businesses.
Hackney Council is also a great place to develop your career. We offer a wide range of opportunities to learn new skills through training, mentoring and by working alongside some of the best digital agencies in the country. We are developing a new Digital Leadership Academy and will be launching an exciting apprenticeship programme in spring 2018, with 18 apprentice roles across our service.
As well as this, Hackney also offers great benefits for our people, including a range of flexible working options, discounts and other schemes to help you save money and the opportunity to plan for your future by joining the local government pension scheme (more details are available online here: https://hackney.gov.uk/
We are determined to help the ICT and digital profession become more diverse, and we encourage women and other people who are underrepresented in technology professions to apply to join our team. You can find out more about how Hackney promotes equalities and diversity here:
Timewise employer here: http://news.hackney.gov.uk/
You can find out more about our team, how we work and the work we do on our HackIT website:
At Hackney, we are passionate about using technology to help residents by providing services so good, people prefer to use them.
As well as working with some of the UK’s foremost digital agencies, Hackney is committed to investing in developing in-house digital design teams so that we grow our capacity to design, build and deliver excellent digital services and to complement expertise that we buy in.
The new Digital Design team will be provide the key skills and expertise required to deliver agile, user centred change across the whole range of the Council’s services.
- 5+ years’ experience as a frontend developer
- Passion for CSS and knowledge of Flexbox and Grid
- Comfortable with Sass and PostCSS
- JS-based build tools - Grunt, Gulp, Webpack
- Experience with NPM, CLI and GitHub
- Care about accessibility and performance
- An eye for UI and UX
- Desire to work on open source projects
- Be able to work quickly in an agile environment
- Good collaboration skills with designers and other developers
Nice to have:
- Built design systems before and used Fractal
- Angular experience and keen on React/Vue
- Worked on projects built on .Net and Ruby
- Central or local government experience or in general interest for GDS work
- Interest/experience with TDD and testing in general
- Able to engage the whole multidisciplinary team with the development process
How to apply
To apply all you need to do is:
- Read the Job Description for this role, paying particular attention to the Person Specification section
- Provide your details in our application form and upload your CV
- Attach a supporting statement (maximum two pages) that shows how your skills, knowledge and experience will enable you to meet the criteria for he post, as described in the Person Specification
Closing Date: Sunday 3 February 2018 (22:59 hrs)
We actively promote equal opportunities and welcome applicants with a broad diversity of talent, including applicants who are interested in flexible working arrangements.
Hackney Council works to eradicate discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, age and marital status. We also recognise that people can be disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances, so we will also work to eliminate discrimination and disadvantage caused by social class. We also welcome those interested in flexible working. We particularly welcome applications from disabled people, as this group is currently under represented in our workforce.