Lawyer x2 permanent positions and x2 FTC positions
Directorate: Political Finance and Regulation
Salary: £52,983 per annum
We are looking for an experienced lawyer to join our dedicated legal team, working to support the delivery of the Commission’s objectives.
You will be involved in novel and often high profile issues affecting the democratic process in the UK. You will be involved in a wide range of high quality legal work, focusing primarily on supporting the regulatory and enforcement side of the Commission’s work. You will join the Commission at an exciting time, in a role that provides an excellent opportunity to work in a stimulating and fast paced legal environment.
The post-holder will provide legal services and advice to the Commission and its staff across the breadth of the Commission’s functions. Working to the standards set out in our User Guide and the Legal Procedures Manual, the post holder will advise on queries allocated, exercising proper professional judgment and liaising with the Senior Lawyer where appropriate. In consultation with the Head of Legal, there will be opportunities for the focus of activities and the lead responsibility for particular areas to change over time.
The post holder will ensure that advice given is risk based enabling the Commission to take into consideration identified risk before deciding on a course of action.
- Regulatory and enforcement: Advice to the Registration and Reporting, and Monitoring and Enforcement Teams, and in addition advice on policy and guidance matters affecting those Teams. This will include advice on the scope of the Commission’s statutory powers; advice on securing compliance with regulatory requirements through civil or criminal enforcement actions; and advice on policy and legislation development, guidance, standard forms and documentation. This will also involve assisting with and contributing to projects run by, or affecting, the Directorate.
- Electoral law and practice: Advice both on the current law and, also in connection with possible reform and guidance on a wide range of issues including, registration of electors, supply and use of the electoral register, and the conduct of elections and challenge.
- Electoral events: Advice on the law concerning the conduct of elections and referendums.
- Secondary legislation: Drafting regulations that may need to be made by the Commission; also scrutinising draft legislation and responding to consultation on legislation made by Government.
- Litigation: Responding to any legal challenges, including judicial review or statutory appeals.
- Polling Place Review Appeals: Undertake polling place review appeals and prepare draft decisions
- Data Protection/Freedom of Information: Advice on, for example, employment law, health and safety and some contractual or intellectual property issues. Advice also on the Commission’s compliance with the law on freedom of information and data protection.
This role requires strong legal analytical skills, a sound legal knowledge-base and the ability to confidently and effectively interpret and apply new and complex legislation. You will have a strong understanding and/or experience of advising on public law. A background advising on regulatory law and public law litigation would be advantageous. Experience of government (central or local) or related organisations with governmental type duties would also be desirable.
The closing date for applications is 17th May 2019 at 11:59pm.
Interviews to be held week commencing 3rd June 2019.