Apprentice Human Resources Support
Salary: £19,254 per annum
Duration: Fixed Term, up to 24 months
Location: London Borough of Islington, 222 Upper Street, London N1 1XR
Hours : 35 per week, All Year Round
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Human Resources Apprenticeship Pathway consists of two years’ opportunity to build on your problem solving and Human Resources skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Human Resources qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s Schools Human Resources Team, where you will contribute in providing a comprehensive integrated Human Resources service to Schools.
Schools Human Resources provide support to over 50 schools in the Borough. This is achieved through excellent customer service and the delivery of key activities which are designed to meet the needs of our customers. Working as part of a friendly and well respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as Human Resources Support Apprentice you will:
- Work independently and as part of a team to respond to Schools’ requests effectively and efficiently;
- Liaise with Schools’ directly via the phone, in writing or in person, as a friendly and knowledgeable representative of the Council
- Learn key office and administration skills to ensure the smooth functioning of the team’
- Using your knowledge and understanding of the Schools’ policies and procedures to respond to requests;
- Ensure Schools’ needs are met quickly, confidently and positively;
- Use problem-solving skills to provide advice and support to Schools;
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 3 HR Support qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your time with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Human Resources Pathway is ideal for those who are passionate about good customer service.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
- Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student within the last 12 months.
- Be unemployed/economically inactive (working no more than 16 hours a week.
- Not currently hold a qualification in Human Resources at level 3 or above
Closing Date: Monday 27th May 2019 at 12 midnight
Assessment Day: Thursday 6th June 2019
Apprenticeship Start Date: Monday 1st July 2019 or as soon as possible
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Herve Odimba on 020 7527 2177 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk