Assistant Director of Planning and Transport Strategy
This is a senior leadership role working for both Richmond and Wandsworth Councils. The purpose of the shared management arrangement is to provide the best possible professional advice, managerial leadership and provision of service to the two boroughs. The role requires a high level of responsiveness to the needs and expectations of both Councils, and the ability to adapt to sometimes differing processes and member expectations.
The overall purpose is to provide the highest quality of service at the lowest attainable cost, while meeting the expectations of both Councils. In order to succeed at this level, a high level of drive, stamina and political sensitivity are required, along with the ability to foster effective teamwork, help others achieve their maximum contribution and set standards for continuous improvement.
The key management responsibilities include:
- planning policy development;
- development control decision and enforcement process;
- the building control process;
- the planning team supporting the Nine Elms opportunity area;
- transportation policy; and
- special project teams considered appropriate at any particular time by either Council.
The key dimensions of the role are as follows:
- Responsible for budgets of circa £32.5m revenue, and £32.1m capital;
- The management of approximately 150fte directly employed staff across both Councils;
- The post holder will be required to manage staff and contractors in multiple locations including both main administrative centres;
- The management of a service that deals annually with approximately 12,000 development control decisions per annum across the two Councils as well as 1,300 enforcement cases per annum; and
- Includes responsibility for all planning activity in relation to the major regeneration area in Nine Elms.
Few roles will provide this breadth of opportunity, impacting 500,000 Londoners every day.
Discover more and apply online: http://southwestlondonjobs.org/
Please click on the link below to see the full Job Description, current team structure and Person Specification.
Closing date for applications: Friday 21st June at 12 noon.