It is an exciting time to be joining the Economic Growth team at Essex County Council. We’re committed to improving the wealth in our economy as the main driver of ensuring that our region continues to be a fantastic place to work, do business, live and enjoy life. We believe that our local infrastructure is fundamental to achieving this vision and as the Economic Infrastructure Manager, you will have the chance to take ownership of and drive forward our new economic infrastructure plan, working with important and influential partners to provide a framework for developing business growth in the area.
In this role, you will be in charge of facilitating the delivery of the things we need to support our economic growth. This will include planning, road, rail, land and digital connectivity where it is directly linked to growth in our opportunity businesses. Further ensuring economic success, you will develop both new and established partnerships with business, districts, boroughs and the LEP and will work closely with our reputable Higher Education and Further Education institutions. As an ambassador for the county, you will also promote both the locational economic advantages of Essex, in order to appeal to new businesses, residents and communities.
Essex is a county replete with untapped potential and this is an excellent opportunity to turn that potential into a reality and, in turn, help to shape a better future for the businesses and people committed to the success of our area.
You should be a strong, determined leader who can spot a commercial opportunity when you see one, and will be able to bring to the table significant experience in managing and driving large-scale economic development projects. You will also be able to engage with professionals of all levels, represent the Council at meetings, as well as show a talent for forming important partnerships and networks, ensuring the successful delivery of the growth strategy. To attract the best businesses to Essex, you’ll be able to identify economic possibilities and opportunities and will be able to translate business requirements into suitable investment propositions.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by significant experience.
• Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
• Experience working within a land development / planning and/or quantity surveying environment linked to economic development outcomes
• Significant experience of managing major economic development projects with evidence of successful delivery.
• Builds strong partnerships across the public sector at senior level, which are influential and collaborative in their nature and engender delivery of joint innovative objectives.
• Experience of disruptive leadership to win hearts and minds and drive cultural and operational change in a complex environment.
• Strong leadership skills which drive a highly performing and motivated multi-disciplinary team from diverse backgrounds, to achieve strategic objectives.
(Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.)
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success. Click on the Apply button to apply for this role.