‘Do you have the following…..
- Highly organised and self-motivated to ensure payroll administration is done in a timely manner
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent numeracy and communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritise workload to meet deadlines
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Understanding of payroll legislation and processes
- Ability to interpret awards and relevant legislation
- Customer service focus
- Able to work effectively and efficiently with fluctuating work demands and is flexible in their work approach
- Must have excellent IT Skills in particular Excel
- Team player
If so, we want to hear from you.
Main Purpose of Job
To be responsible for the delivery of a comprehensive payroll service in relation to all of Medway Council employees using the system ResourceLink provided by Zellis.
To provide payroll advice and guidance to a range of stakeholders including managers, and staff based employees.
To promote, review, quality assure, and develop the service to meet the needs and demands of all it’s the service users.
To provide interpretation and guidance on the operation and implementation of regulations and statutory requirements in relation to payroll provision.
To directly manage a small team of Payroll and Pension Officers, undertaking professional supervision and providing support and guidance where required.
Maintain links with relevant specialist service areas to ensure the team is up to date with legislation and procedures.
Overall management of the computerised monthly payroll containing personal details of around 5000 staff.
Identifying where possible continuous improvement in the provision of the payroll service and ensuring compliance with Inland Revenue requirements
Interpreting and implementing changes in legislation affecting payroll including liaising with the Payroll Systems Team.
- Significant experience working within a payroll/HR/Finance function.
- High level of general education to A level or equivalent, with particular emphasis on English and Mathematics
- Experience of managing and/or delivering an effective and efficient administration, payroll or accounting function.
- Comprehensive understanding of computerised financial management and/or payroll/HR systems and proven experience of analysing and interpreting complex information.
- Ability to demonstrate practical and/or procedural knowledge in a specialist area, as well as the ability to turn theoretical knowledge into practical applications
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Sarah Saunders 01634 332217.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.