New Directions College is Reading Borough Council’s Community Learning and Skills service.
We’re a small friendly team with an ambitious plan for the future. At New Directions we pride ourselves on not turning people away, and helping individuals progress on their journey whatever their personal goals. Ofsted judged the service as ‘Good’ in 2011 and 2015.
In addition to our learning centre in South Reading we offer learning opportunities to around 4500 people across Reading in venues such as Libraries, Children’s Centres and Community Hubs. Around two thirds of our learners come from the most deprived parts of Reading and a significant number of learners are also engaged with the Troubled Families programme.
The core offer includes Maths, English, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and Vocational courses. We’re leading Apprenticeship provision for the entire council following the introduction of the levy in April 2017. We also provide higher education access courses in an area of the country where fewer than 1% of residents progress to University and have 100’s of non-accredited courses helping people improve their confidence, well-being and employability.
Following the implementation of a re-structure we are currently overhauling all our business support processes to improve quality of service and efficiency e.g. paperless enrolment. This role will provide leadership to ensure successful implementation and continued development/utilisation of our database, systems and processes.
The post holder(s) will:
- Be a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
- Oversee all aspects of funding and finance and contribute to financial planning and monitoring.
- Manage the externalised Management Information System (MIS) function and contract.
- Lead on day to day operations including business continuity.
- Lead all business support functions including compliance.
- Undertake the role of Designated Safeguarding Officer for the service.
- Lead on all Health & Safety matters including Prevent.
You will have a management or finance qualification or have demonstrable experience with a proven track record, with excellent organisational and communication skills, ideally with experience of working within the post compulsory education sector.
Our benefits include:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme(LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- 'Your Reading Passport' scheme - competitive rates for local gyms
- Eye care - help towards an eye test and glasses, if you use a computer at work
For further information, please contact Barry Wren, Principal on 07841 271872 or email@example.com
Please do not send a CV: for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Closing date: Monday 15 July 2019
Interviews will take place on: End of July 2019